LOOKING TO PRAISE AND WORSHIP JESUS THE CHRIST, THE SON OF THE LIVING GOD. 18 No man has ever seen God at any time; the only unique Son, or the only begotten God, Who is in the bosom [in the intimate presence] of the Father, He has declared Him [He has revealed Him and brought Him out where He can be seen; He has interpreted Him and He has made Him known].

Wednesday, August 23, 2006

The Carnal Mind is Enmity Against God pt.3 Spurgeon

I. First, we are called upon to speak of the truthfulness of this great statement, “the carnal mind is enmity against God.”
It needs no proof, for since it is written in God’s Word, we, as Christian men and women, are bound to bow before it. The words of the Scriptures are words of infinite wisdom and if reason cannot see the ground of a statement of Revelation, it is bound, most reverently, to believe it, since we are well-assured even should it be above our reason, that it cannot be contrary to it. Here I find it written in the Scriptures, “the carnal mind is enmity against God.” And that of itself is enough for me. But did I need witnesses I would conjure up the nations of antiquity. I would unroll the volume of ancient history, I would tell you of the awful deeds of mankind. It may be I might move your souls to detestation if I spoke of the cruelty of this race to itself, if I showed you how it made the world an Aceldama by its wars and deluged it with blood by its fights and murders.

If I should recite the black list of vices in which whole nations have indulged or even bring before you the characters of some of the most eminent philosophers, I should blush to speak of them and you would refuse to hear. Yes, it would be impossible for you, as refined inhabitants of a civilized country, to endure the mention of the crimes that were committed by those very men who now-a-days are held up as being paragons of perfection. I fear if all the truth were written, we should rise up from reading the lives of earth’s mighty heroes and proudest sages and would say at once of all of them,


"They are clean gone mad. They are altogether become unprofitable.
There is none that does good. No, not one.”


And did not that suffice, I would point you to the delusions of the heathen. I would tell you of their priestcraft by which their souls have been enthralled in superstition. I would drag their gods before you. I would let you witness the horrid obscenities, the diabolical rites which are to these besotted men most sacred things. Then after you had heard what the natural religion of man is, I would ask what must his irreligion be? If this is his devotion, what must be his impiety? If this is his ardent love of the Godhead, what must his hatred thereof be?

You would, I am sure, at once confess, did you know what the race is, that the indictment is proven and that the world must unreservedly and truthfully exclaim, “guilty.” A further argument I might find in the fact that the best of men have been always the most ready to confess their depravity. The holiest men, the most free from impurity, have always felt it most. He whose garments are the whitest will best perceive the spots upon them. He whose crown shines the brightest will know when he has lost a jewel. He who gives the most light to the world will always be able to discover his own darkness. The angels of Heaven veil their faces.

And the angels of God on earth, His chosen people, must always veil their faces with humility when they think of what they were. Hear David—he was none of those who boast of a holy nature and a pure disposition. He says, “Behold, I was shapen in iniquity. And in sin did my mother conceive me.” Hear all those holy men who have written in the inspired volume and you shall find them all confessing that they were not clean, no, not one. Yes, one of them even exclaimed, “O wretched man that I am; who shall deliver me from the body of this death?”

8 Comments:

Blogger mark pierson said...

http://www.spurgeon.org/misc/wg.htm#Jesus%20Only/

August 23, 2006 7:20 AM

 
Blogger jazzycat said...

Mark,
When this doctrine of 'man's inability' is understood then the marvelous grace of God is understood and a person can point to heaven rather than self to acknowledge where his salvation originates. Spurgeon could really explain it well.
W.H.

August 23, 2006 9:13 AM

 
Blogger jel said...

morning Mark,
hope you and your family are well

August 23, 2006 10:04 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Couldn't agree with Spurgeon...or Jazzycat more!

August 23, 2006 11:28 AM

 
Blogger Jonathan Moorhead said...

I too agree with Jazzy. You cannot understand the grace of God until you understand what He has delivered you from.

August 23, 2006 1:12 PM

 
Blogger mark pierson said...

Salvation is of the LORD!

August 23, 2006 1:25 PM

 
Blogger forgiven said...

Mark,

It is knowing Him

Amen

August 23, 2006 1:57 PM

 
Blogger Doug E. said...

Spurgeon Rocks!

Doug

August 23, 2006 5:31 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home