LOOKING TO PRAISE AND WORSHIP JESUS THE CHRIST, THE SON OF THE LIVING GOD. 18 No man has ever seen God at any time; the only unique Son, or the only begotten God, Who is in the bosom [in the intimate presence] of the Father, He has declared Him [He has revealed Him and brought Him out where He can be seen; He has interpreted Him and He has made Him known].

Monday, November 07, 2005

ALL EYES UPON JESUS pt.one

I recently observed two of my new friends in the blogosphere discussing unity in the body of Christ. One asked the other how it would be possible to bring such unity about.

There are Dispensationalists, Covenantalists and New Covenantalists. There are Calvinists and Arminnians; Cessationists and Charismatics; Pre-Tribers, Mid-Tribers and Post-Tribers. Also, there are Pre-Mills, Post-Mills and A-Mills. So much diversity. There are Credo Baptists and Peado Baptists and plenty of annimosity between the two.

Over the certuries debates, persecutions, yes, even hatred and martyrdom has occurred because of these diverse opinions.

How wrong. How sad!

I must confess that over the years, as a Calvinist, I have had plenty of disdain for Arminnians. I was consumed with rage against them.

I repent.

Yes, I still hold to the "Doctrines of Grace" and I am quite capable of defending my position. But, though I can and will defend my position I will now do so without the rage and disgust.

I can recall plenty of non-Calvinist preachers over the years who have blessed me and noursihed me up in the Word. Men like CHuck Smith, David Rosalis, and Dr. R.A. Cook were very strong infludences in my early walk with Christ.

While I do not look at my position in the Calvinist debate as a cause of division, I do see my attitude as such.

Is it not interesting that, though they disagreed at times on this issue, Wesley and Whitefield were co-laborers in the "Great Awakening". How about the partnership between Arminian G. Campbell Morgan and Cavinist D. Martin LLoyd Jones. They loved one another in the Lord. They served side by side. They acknowledged one another's position in Christ.

They were brothers in Christ!

What about the admonition to "look unto Jesus, the Author and Finisher of our Faith". Is not Jesus the One Who would bruise Satan's head? (Gen 3:15). Is it not written that Abraham rejoiced to see His day (2000 years earliers), he saw it and was glad? John 8:56. Did not Job say "For I know that my Redeemer lives, And He shall stand at last on the earth"? Job 19:25.

Is it not recorded that Jesus told His disciples "Blessed are the eyes which see the things you see; for I tell you that many prophets and kings have desired to see what you see, and have not seen it, and to hear what you hear, and have not heard it"? Luke 10:24. Is it not written that the LORD laid on Him the iniquity of us all and that He made Jesus' soul an offering for sin. Isn't it by the knowledge of Jesus alone that many are justified? Was it not He alone Who bore our inquities? Isaiah 53:6,10,11. Was not His ministry written about in the Law of Moses and the prophets and the Psalms? Luke 24:44. Is not Jesus the only one to be able to claim that "He who has seen Me has seen the Father"? John 14:9. Is not Jesus the One through Whom the Father speaks to the world in these last times? He alone is the image of the invisible God. All things were created through Him. He is the Head of the church. "For it pleased the Father that in Him all the fullness should dwell". Col 1:17,18,19. Grace and Truth came to us through Christ alone.

to be continued...

10 Comments:

Blogger Steve Weaver said...

Blue,

Good post! I agree! Looking forward to your future comments.

November 07, 2005 12:52 PM

 
Blogger Zoanna said...

Good post, Blue. Your humility is refreshing. I grew up Armenian, then converted long after the only conversion that truly counts. But Rose, I am curious, are you a Betweener? I'm not sure how you can be neither an A or a C. I mean, for a few years I was a B, but I am not sure how long one can say in that theological state. It was limbo for me, and Calvinism is freedom and comfort for me. Care to explain your stance?

November 07, 2005 2:00 PM

 
Blogger forgiven said...

I think that we need to look at the cross more and less at each other. (But we preach Christ crucified,) (KJV)

November 07, 2005 10:10 PM

 
Blogger mark pierson said...

Zoanna,Thank you for stopping by. Please come again.

Pastor's Steve and Reid, I hope the two of you could meet some day. You are both fine expositors of the Word.

Blessings All,
Mark

November 07, 2005 11:53 PM

 
Blogger mark pierson said...

All readers,

Please feel free to address one another. I like the back and forth. I'll just grab a bag of pop-corn and watch the action. Have fun!

November 08, 2005 7:32 AM

 
Blogger Jeremy Weaver said...

Good post, blue!

November 08, 2005 12:33 PM

 
Blogger Joe said...

I grew up Floridian.

Then I got saved.

I have led worship for Arminians and Calvanist, Calvinians and Armianists.

Sometimes is has not been easy, but God has always been gracious, and as long a I have kept my eyes on Him, it has all worked out.

November 08, 2005 7:23 PM

 
Blogger mark pierson said...

joe,
So glad you finally commented. I respect you and look forward to your visits. Thank you!

November 08, 2005 11:55 PM

 
Blogger anne said...

great post, it is so intersting to consider these things...thanks...looking forward to the continuation.

November 10, 2005 12:25 AM

 
Blogger mark pierson said...

Anne,
Thank you so much for stopping by. Please come again!

November 10, 2005 7:25 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home