LOOKING TO PRAISE AND WORSHIP JESUS THE CHRIST, THE SON OF THE LIVING GOD. 18 No man has ever seen God at any time; the only unique Son, or the only begotten God, Who is in the bosom [in the intimate presence] of the Father, He has declared Him [He has revealed Him and brought Him out where He can be seen; He has interpreted Him and He has made Him known].

Sunday, September 17, 2006

Apostolic Exhortation

"All true conversion is the work of the Holy Ghost. You may rightly pray in the words of the prophet, "Turn thou us, and we shall be turned;" for until God turn us, turn we never shall; and unless he convert us, our conversion is but a mistake."- CH Spurgeon

Oh here's a bit More:

Hear it as a gospel summons—
"True belief and true repentance,Every grace which brings us nigh;Without money Come to Jesus Christ and buy.""And yet," say you, "and yet the apostle Peter actually says to us, 'Repent, and be converted!' That is, you tell us with one breath that these things are the gift of the Holy Spirit, and then with the next breath you read the text, 'Repent, and be converted.'" Ay, I do, I do, and thank God I have learned to do so. But you will say, "How reconcile you these two things?" I answer, it is no part of my commission to reconcile my Master's words: my commission is to preach the truth as I find it—to deliver it to you fresh from his hand. I not only believe these things to be agreeable to one another, but I think I see wherein they do agree, but I utterly despair of making the most of what is written in Scripture, and to accept it all, whether we can see the agreement of the two sets of truths or no—to accept them both because they are both revealed. With that hand I hold as firmly as any man living, that repentance and conversion are the work of the Holy Spirit, but I would sooner lose this hand, and both, than I would give up preaching that it is the duty of men to repent and to believe, and the duty of Christian ministers to say to them, "Repent and be converted, that your sins may be blotted out." If men will not receive truth till they understand it, there are many things which they never will receive.

- CH Spurgeon, Apostolic Exhortation

6 Comments:

Blogger mark pierson said...

My thanks to Brian Hedrick (bhedr) for allowing me to swipe this off of his blog.

September 17, 2006 1:47 PM

 
Blogger Bhedr said...

And again I say Amen!

Yousa welcome oh great Maharasha Calvinist follower of Spurgeon:-)

Ah us mind numb ditto headed Spurgeonites who cant think for ourselves. May we be smitten with another good dose of Apostolic Exhortation and may we never recover!

September 17, 2006 9:46 PM

 
Blogger mark pierson said...

Brian, what is that a picture of in your avatar? I'm only an uneducated blue collar worker who don't no nothin' about art.

September 18, 2006 8:00 AM

 
Blogger mark pierson said...

Brian,I like your style.

September 19, 2006 6:47 AM

 
Blogger Bhedr said...

I like yours brother and I know you have a big heart with a Jealousy for Gods truth.

September 19, 2006 7:31 PM

 
Blogger Charles e. Whisnant said...

Brethern
If our preaching followed the pattern of Spurgeon in this matter of preaching the Scripture our preaching would change. "to deliver it to your fresh from His hand." Instead of trying to figure out what to say, learn to say what the Scripture says. Its the best.

September 20, 2006 9:13 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home