LOOKING TO PRAISE AND WORSHIP JESUS THE CHRIST, THE SON OF THE LIVING GOD. 18 No man has ever seen God at any time; the only unique Son, or the only begotten God, Who is in the bosom [in the intimate presence] of the Father, He has declared Him [He has revealed Him and brought Him out where He can be seen; He has interpreted Him and He has made Him known].

Friday, February 09, 2007

The Roman Road

I have several friends who are Catholic, so I decided to learn at least a little something about the teachings of that faith. I've grown to have great respect for James White of Alpha and Omega Ministries. I read his blog frequently and decided to purchase a couple of his books. Delivered to my door last week were, The Sovereign Grace of God, and the one I'm currently reading, The Roman Catholic Controversy. From reading James' blog, and listening to his webcast, The Dividing Line, I knew he had a phenomenal understanding of Scripture, and this book affirms that he knows of what he speaks. He takes the reader through the origins of Catholic doctrine - what they believe and why they believe it. He then carefully and biblically refutes the claims made by the Church in Rome. It's quite an astounding read, and I highly recommend it. And not only to gain insight into the Catholic Church, either. It's a great resource book to aid in building a solid, biblically-based foundation which enables you stand firm in the Truth.

James exhorts, "When Christians encounter falsehoods in any arena, their first obligation is to present the Gospel of Christ in a clear, convincing manner. There are times when other issues must be addressed in order to facilitate that clear presentation, but such preparatory topics should be handled as quickly and efficiently as possible. They should not obscure the primary reason the Christian is engaging in dialogue with the person who is trapped in a false system. Anyone who goes into such a situation seeking only to win an argument is already on the wrong basis. And tearing down someone else's beliefs without providing a positive presentation of the truth is likely to produce a disenchanted agnostic who rejects all religion, or a surface-level "convert" who withers and dies in time. A Christian who shares with those who have a pre-existing faith system should always seek to use the hightest standards of honesty in bringing such a person to a knowledge of the truth."

Wise words for us all.

In reading this book, I have learned as much if not more about my own faith - why I believe what I do and from whence it came - as I've learned about the Catholic faith. My fervent prayer is that God would sovereignly open the eyes of those who are indeed caught up in a false system.

11 Comments:

Blogger Joe said...

Thank you for the recommendation. I think I will heed it.

February 09, 2007 7:00 PM

 
Blogger Craver Vii said...

Well said.

February 10, 2007 12:59 AM

 
Blogger jazzycat said...

Good point... Present the truth of the gospel and let the truth refute any false doctrine, rather than attack the false doctrine directly.

February 10, 2007 10:19 AM

 
Blogger Gojira said...

Hi Gayla,

Be sure to check out some of his debates he has had. You can order them in MP3 for 2 or 3 bucks. I share your prayer with you.

February 10, 2007 12:57 PM

 
Blogger mark pierson said...

Gayla!!! Great post. Much to chew on about dealing with people in false systems.

February 10, 2007 8:23 PM

 
Blogger mark pierson said...

To all:

Once again my email has died, no sending ability. I am communication-less, again ,and again, and again......

February 10, 2007 8:25 PM

 
Blogger Baptist Girl said...

amen Gayla! John White is a lot of good things to share.

Mark,
I will be praying that you get back online soon. I miss reading your stuff. I am enjoying Jazzcat and Gayla!

Cristina

February 11, 2007 1:07 AM

 
Blogger Bryan said...

I have the book, and I think it's good in some areas, not as good in others. What I would however caution you on is when you said you "decided to learn at least a little something about the teachings of that faith."

How are you doing this? From reading your post I get the impression that your learning about their faith through protestant sources like James White? Those sources have their place, but I would first highly recommend to actually go to the original sources first, that is the RCC's own documents, and learn about their religion from them. If you asked a Catholic to look at the Protestant faith I would expect you to be a bit upset if they were to look at it through Catholic Apologists, and I think it's only fair that would do them the courtesy of looking at the primary sources ourself.

Of course you could be doing this, your entry wasn't clear on the point.

February 11, 2007 1:26 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Bryan, absolutely I'm looking at other resources. Sorry, you're right - I didn't make that clear. :)

February 11, 2007 12:53 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Mark, are you still w/o e-mail? I need to reply to ya!

February 11, 2007 4:27 PM

 
Blogger mark pierson said...

Gayla, I am completely w/o email. The last time this happened i had to call my internet provider and it took 4 hours to fix the problem.

February 11, 2007 4:59 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home