LOOKING TO PRAISE AND WORSHIP JESUS THE CHRIST, THE SON OF THE LIVING GOD. 18 No man has ever seen God at any time; the only unique Son, or the only begotten God, Who is in the bosom [in the intimate presence] of the Father, He has declared Him [He has revealed Him and brought Him out where He can be seen; He has interpreted Him and He has made Him known].

Tuesday, January 23, 2007

I Don't Want to Harp....

...but I just keep thinking about this. I refer you back to this post and the link to that nauseating song. Well, I ran across this dreadful piece again yesterday in my blogosphere travels. I should not have done so, but I listened to the thing again, and then the stupid tune got stuck in my head. I had to reprogram myself. :)

But I began to ponder...

According to the lyrics, here are the things God is able to do:

~set the boundries of the ocean vast
~carve out the mountains from the distant past
~mould a man from the miry clay
~breathe in him life
~hold the waters in My mighty hand
~spread out the heavens with a single span
~make all creation tremble at My voice
~own the cattle on a thousand hills
~write the music for the whippoorwills
~control the planets with their rocks and rills

But then, interestingly enough, with His human creation, God is unable to:

~make you whole UNLESS you want it and you say so


How man-centered can we possibly get? How long will we scoff in the face of a holy, righteous, sovereign God, Creator of heaven and earth? Why do we, for one minute, believe that the definition of a loving God is one who MUST give His creatures 'free will?' That to love them, they must be able to 'choose?' That seems akin to a parent saying, "Son/daughter, I love you SOOOOOOOOOOOO much that I'm allowing you to choose whether or not you'd like to play on the highway."

I, for one, have little faith in my 'chooser.' It is fickle, fallible, sinful and quite unreliable. And besides, it's quite clear in Scripture that, without the regenerating work of the Holy Spirit, I would never choose God in the first place.

How about lyrics like these instead:

Worthy, You are worthy
Much more worthy than I know
I cannot imagine
Just how glorious You are
And I cannot begin to tell
How deep a love You bring
O Lord my ears have heard of You
But now my eyes have seen
You're worthy
You're worthy
You're worthy
You're worthy to be praised
Forever and a day
Glory, I give glory
To the One who saved my soul
You found me and You freed me
From the shame that was my own
And I cannot begin to tell
How merciful You've been
O Lord, my ears had heard of You
But now my eyes have seen
We'll sing an anthem of the highest praise
We'll sound an anthem of Your glorious name

8 Comments:

Blogger mark pierson said...

Powerful ! Thanks for that. Great post, Gayla.

January 23, 2007 12:55 PM

 
Blogger Gojira said...

I 2nd that! Powerful indeed!

January 23, 2007 1:47 PM

 
Blogger Craver Vii said...

Maybe I'm not reading it right, but I would CONDITIONALLY agree that God does not save people if they don't want to be saved. He changes their hearts, bends their wills, breaks them down, but I don't know of anyone who is saved, but doesn't want to be. Again though, the "want-to" itself must come from God. The unregenerate are incapable of wanting the things of God.

The apostle Paul started out not wanting Jesus to be his Lord, but God changed the man's heart, and then he saved him.

But I agree that it is silly that we give God credit (properly) for creation, and all kinds of acts of grace and power, but then (foolishly) reserve sovereignty for the individual who has some kind of veto power over the Almighty. Hmph!

January 23, 2007 3:29 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You're reading it correctly, craver. :)

People who don't want to be saved aren't seeking to be saved either. In their unregenerate state they don't even possess a 'want to,' since by nature, they're hostile to God, enemies of His, etc.

I really like your last point. I call that giving 'lip service' to God's sovereignty. He's sovereign alright, right up until that sovereignty steps on 'my' autonomy.

Which brings me to one of those misrepresntations of biblical theology that gets so weary: that God drags people, kicking and screaming, into the Kingdom.

January 23, 2007 3:46 PM

 
Blogger Craver Vii said...

(laughing) Not kicking and "Screaming," Gayla? More like: Whack! Thud! a la Saul of Tarsus. ;-)

I was initially stunned by R.C. Sproul's treatment on the subject of free will, because he said that man is free to choose what he wants (gasp!) BUT unless the the Spirit first regenerates him, he cannot possibly want what God wants.

Thanks for the good word, and thanks for shining a spotlight on an important issue.

January 23, 2007 5:05 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You know, craver, I love the conversion story of Paul. In discussions here in blogosphere, though, I've heard (read) people say that he STILL had a choice to reject Christ! I'm thinking, you've GOT to be kidding!!!! The Lord literally stops you in your tracks, blinds you, speaks to you and then tells you what you're going to do - but you can exercise your 'free will' and reject Him.

Again, just goes to show you how man-centered people are.

January 23, 2007 7:29 PM

 
Blogger jazzycat said...

Gayla,
Good points.
The Saul to Paul conversion is beyond question a 100% work of God in salvation.

The unfairness argument against God in election just does not hold up on several fronts.

Wayne

January 23, 2007 9:36 PM

 
Blogger Scribe said...

"The Saul to Paul conversion is beyond question a 100% work of God in salvation."

My conversion was 100% God, had it not been for the Lord...

-Scribe

January 25, 2007 6:42 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home