LOOKING TO PRAISE AND WORSHIP JESUS THE CHRIST, THE SON OF THE LIVING GOD. 18 No man has ever seen God at any time; the only unique Son, or the only begotten God, Who is in the bosom [in the intimate presence] of the Father, He has declared Him [He has revealed Him and brought Him out where He can be seen; He has interpreted Him and He has made Him known].

Sunday, January 07, 2007

God's Sovereignty & The Gospel Call

One of my favorite reformed bloggers is Alan over at Calvinist Gadfly. Alan is very articulate and very respectful in his tone, not to mention quite knowledgeable. Plus, I can just use his sidebar as my sidebar since he lists a whole lotta great links. ;)

Here is an interesting post worth reading... er...listening to.

But 'afore you do that, let me preface it by saying this. I'm not much into labels, meaning I don't call myself a Calvinist. I don't follow this man, John Calvin, though I do hold to/agree with much of this teachings. I do so only because they are biblical. I was awakened to this 'new' view of reformed theology, or doctrines of grace, a little over two years ago when God, in His wisdom and by His mercy, opened my eyes to the biblical understanding of His sovereignty. And that's what it's all about isn't it, when you get right down to it? The sovereignty of God. Just before God completely changed my core thinking, I remember being in an online discussion with some friends from a private Christian message board. Two of them were reformed, and then there was me. I certainly didn't know the term for it then, but I was of the Arminian persuasion, just having at it with (what I now understand to be) the typcial verses to PROVE God's universal love, desire to save the 'whole world,' et cetera. Basically, it was a complete man-centered theology.

Fast forward to now. I continue to be amazed by what God shows me. No doubt, He has given me more discernment, and He has given me a whole new perspective. In reading through the Bible, I now read it through the eyes of His sovereignty. What a radical difference that has made! He's given me such a hunger for His Word, a richer, deeper relationship with Himself, a greater desire to bring the Light to a dark world, a better (not perfect) marriage, and on & on I could go. During this time, I've wrestled through some difficult and weighty texts of Scripture, and have become convinced that God alone is in complete control of His creation.

Anyway that said, the above link to an interesting little song is quite telling. There are 193 comments following, some of which perhaps got a little out of hand, but are still worth the read. Bottom line: the gospel of Christ has been neutered, if not hijacked. I pray that God will have mercy and open the hearts and minds of His people, who have taken that gospel and twisted into something often times not even remotely resembling the Truth.

15 Comments:

Blogger mark pierson said...

Gayla! You go girl! I like... I like a lot...

Definitely you and Wayne are great additions here. Thanks so much Gayla and Wayne for bringing some top quality writing to bluecollar.

One very happy bluecollar

January 07, 2007 6:45 PM

 
Blogger jazzycat said...

Gayla,
Good insight and good post.

Mark,
Thanks for the prayers for my wife.

W.H.

January 07, 2007 9:54 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

What? No comment on the video clip???

Fellas, did y'all watch it?? I want to hear your thoughts on THAT!

January 08, 2007 10:06 AM

 
Blogger mark pierson said...

Gayla, I could not hear the audio portion. All I could see was two women flanked by two men. I liked the 193 comments though. Mary from the UK argues like somebody else I know, complete with taunts and claims of victory

January 08, 2007 10:58 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm sorry you couldn't hear it, Mark. It's a doozy. You probably got from the comments that part of the lyrics were, "It's your choice. Will it be yes or no?"

Yeah, Mark from the UK was an interesting bird. Very ugly tone. And no matter how many times she was asked to please provide some Scripture support, she never did.

January 08, 2007 11:17 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I mean MARY from the UK. :-)

January 08, 2007 11:18 AM

 
Blogger mark pierson said...

If you think Mary's tone was ugly you should see where she got all her arguementation from: Dave Hunt's "What Love is This". I read that whole book back in 2002. "Doozy" is a polite word to use here too.

January 08, 2007 11:27 AM

 
Blogger Baptist Girl said...

Hi Gayla,
All I can say is Oh My Goodness!!!!
it Turned my stomach. You sure can tell who is on the throne in their minds.

Cristina


WOW

January 08, 2007 5:10 PM

 
Blogger jazzycat said...

Yes, Mary was quite the theologian wasn't she.

January 09, 2007 5:54 PM

 
Blogger Scribe said...

Ah yes, Mary, I remember her quit well...fortunately she is currently residing in a nicely padded "suite" with her favorite long-sleeved jacket. The world is a safer palce now...

-Scribe

January 09, 2007 10:04 PM

 
Blogger mark pierson said...

Cristina - Thanks for the visit.

Scribe - Welcome. Please come again.

January 10, 2007 6:35 AM

 
Blogger see-through faith said...

erm this font is a bit small to read. otherwise I like what you wrote gayla - I think this is your niche :)

I didn't watch the video clip cos I can't easily download whilehere in Tallinn

January 10, 2007 9:18 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yay, Lorna came to visit!! Hi Lorna. ::waving to ya::

I'm sorry the font is too small. I think (don't quote me) you can go to your toolbar to 'view.' then to 'text size,' and this changes it on your screen so you can read it.

Hi Scribe! I've seen you a lot in my various travels. Thanks for coming by!

January 10, 2007 12:03 PM

 
Blogger Daniel said...

I "choose" (and consider it my greatest privilege) to withold the mockery that clip so sorely has earned.

January 10, 2007 3:16 PM

 
Blogger Scribe said...

"Hi Scribe! I've seen you a lot in my various travels. Thanks for coming by!"


Yes, unfortunately I am akin to a lost nomadic man wandering aimlessly through the blogosphere...thanks for the welcome.

January 11, 2007 8:45 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home