LOOKING TO PRAISE AND WORSHIP JESUS THE CHRIST, THE SON OF THE LIVING GOD. 18 No man has ever seen God at any time; the only unique Son, or the only begotten God, Who is in the bosom [in the intimate presence] of the Father, He has declared Him [He has revealed Him and brought Him out where He can be seen; He has interpreted Him and He has made Him known].

Friday, August 10, 2007

Transformation

A repost from my blog because Mark is one tough boss. :)


So, speaking of transformation...that's what my pastor has talked on the last couple of weeks. Yep, I'm gonna tout two more of his sermons, Salt & Light, part one and part two.The Holy Spirit has undoubtedly been convicting me in this area of transformation. Is the Word of God, through the power of the Holy Sprit, distinctively affecting me? Is my life changing? Is my mind being renewed? Most importantly - am I being obedient to the the things I already know, or am I continually driven to pursue and obtain more 'information?" Knowledge without a transformed life is of no substantive value at all. And I'm not talking about merely an outward alteration of behavior; we can all conform under compulsion if need be. I'm referring to true inner transformation, resulting in true changes in behavior.In wrestling with God on this issue, Roger and I talked about Christian maturity. He posed these thoughts. It's always nagged him that, historically, the "litmus test" for evaluating your spiritual growth has been to look back at the last year or so of your life. If you see that you're 'sinning less,' then you're maturing in the faith. Could it be, though, that what more accurately defines maturity in a believer has more to do with relational rather than than behavioral? Put another way, could maturity in Christ be defined as an increased or increasing desire to know God, and a lesser desire to satisfy ourselves? The standard of measurement - amount of sin - is incorrect. Sin, after all, was fully taken care of at Calvary. Roger compared it to using a ruler to calculate your weight. For me, this is pretty profound and gives me more to ponder...

5 Comments:

Blogger mark pierson said...

Gayla - A FINE POST! Very profound. Are we growing in our desire to know Him better???

August 10, 2007 11:48 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Gayla,
Isn't it good indeed to have a "tough boss"?
This is a wonderful post!

August 10, 2007 11:57 AM

 
Blogger Marcian said...

Gayla, I have been pondering this since you brought it up, and God was gracious to show me how I have grown in Him not as one who necessarily sins less, but as one who desires to please Him more. Much of this painful pruning time has caused me to seek His Word more, and I find myself incredibly satisfied when I am there. Certianly more satisfied than when I am occupying myself with earthly things. Funny how NONE of what was plaguing my mind was actually "fixed". Instead, it was by that trial that God "drove" me closer to Him, to really feel that desperation to know Him better, and to be a more serious student of the Word.

Indeed, this is a very FINE post, Gayla. Thank you so much for sharing this insight.

August 10, 2007 3:34 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thank you, but it was really Roger's thought. :)

I consider myself very blessed to have a husband who leads spiritually the way he does. God knows I need it, so He provides it.

Marcia, the pruning is indeed painful at times, but wow - to come out on the other side of it is, as you said, very satisfying.

It. is. simply. GOOD. Good to become more and more like Christ. Good to mature in the faith. Good to be loved by God so much that He does prune us. And it is humbling beyond measure to have Him illuminate truth into our lives and make it real.

Anyhoo....

We're taking a quick trip to Austin tomorrow. The 2 pieces that Scott won Gold Seals on for state are now in Austin. There's a little reception thingy for the recipients. We'll spend the night with one of my friends and come home Sat. Thanks in advance for your prayers!

August 10, 2007 7:56 PM

 
Blogger jazzycat said...

Gayla,
Good point. Christian growth and discipleship needs many things working together rather than getting too focused on just one area.

August 10, 2007 10:50 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home