LOOKING TO PRAISE AND WORSHIP JESUS THE CHRIST, THE SON OF THE LIVING GOD. 18 No man has ever seen God at any time; the only unique Son, or the only begotten God, Who is in the bosom [in the intimate presence] of the Father, He has declared Him [He has revealed Him and brought Him out where He can be seen; He has interpreted Him and He has made Him known].

Tuesday, November 27, 2007

Real Christianity

Philippians 3:7-17 (Amplified Bible)

Amplified Bible (AMP)
Copyright © 1954, 1958, 1962, 1964, 1965, 1987 by The Lockman Foundation

7 But whatever former things I had that might have been gains to me, I have come to consider as [one combined] loss for Christ's sake.
8 Yes, furthermore, I count everything as loss compared to the possession of the priceless privilege (the overwhelming preciousness, the surpassing worth, and supreme advantage) of knowing Christ Jesus my Lord and of progressively becoming more deeply and intimately acquainted with Him [of perceiving and recognizing and understanding Him more fully and clearly]. For His sake I have lost everything and consider it all to be mere rubbish (refuse, dregs), in order that I may win (gain) Christ (the Anointed One),
9 And that I may [actually] be found and known as in Him, not having any [self-achieved] righteousness that can be called my own, based on my obedience to the Law's demands (ritualistic uprightness and supposed right standing with God thus acquired), but possessing that [genuine righteousness] which comes through faith in Christ (the Anointed One), the [truly] right standing with God, which comes from God by [saving] faith.
10 [For my determined purpose is] that I may know Him [that I may progressively become more deeply and intimately acquainted with Him, perceiving and recognizing and understanding the wonders of His Person more strongly and more clearly], and that I may in that same way come to know the power outflowing from His resurrection [which it exerts over believers], and that I may so share His sufferings as to be continually transformed [in spirit into His likeness even] to His death, [in the hope]
11 That if possible I may attain to the [spiritual and moral] resurrection [that lifts me] out from among the dead [even while in the body].
12 Not that I have now attained [this ideal], or have already been made perfect, but I press on to lay hold of (grasp) and make my own, that for which Christ Jesus (the Messiah) has laid hold of me and made me His own.
13 I do not consider, brethren, that I have captured and made it my own [yet]; but one thing I do [it is my one aspiration]: forgetting what lies behind and straining forward to what lies ahead,
14 I press on toward the goal to win the [supreme and heavenly] prize to which God in Christ Jesus is calling us upward.
15 So let those [of us] who are spiritually mature and full-grown have this mind and hold these convictions; and if in any respect you have a different attitude of mind, God will make that clear to you also.
16 Only let us hold true to what we have already attained and walk and order our lives by that.
17 Brethren, together follow my example and observe those who live after the pattern we have set for you.

Labels:

12 Comments:

Blogger mark pierson said...

"and if in any respect you have a different attitude of mind, God will make that clear to you also."

With confidence Paul is saying that if the Christian, the genuine Christian, has any other mindset, God will steer you in the right direction.

That's real Christianity!

November 27, 2007 7:33 AM

 
Blogger jazzycat said...

Amen. Grace and truth!

November 27, 2007 1:23 PM

 
Blogger mark pierson said...

Kinda beats the tar out of that unscriptural, silly notion of the existance of an "unbelieving believer".

November 27, 2007 1:56 PM

 
Blogger mark pierson said...

You know what I mean, the person who comes to a single punctiliar moment of faith; Then goes on to lose faith.

November 27, 2007 1:58 PM

 
Blogger Matthew Celestine said...

The Westminister Confession of Faith:

"III. Nevertheless they may, through the temptations of Satan and of the world, the prevalancy of corruption remaining in them, and the neglect of the means of their perseverance, fall into grievous sins; ad for a time continue therein: whereby they incur God's displeasure, and grieve his Holy Spirit; come to be deprived of some measure of their graces and comforts; have their hearts hardened, and their consciences wounded; hurt and prevalancy others, and bring temporal judgments upon themselves."

The Westminster Confession affirms that a believer can TEMPORARILY fall into serious sin and near, if not full apostasy.

Obviously, Westminister affirms that a true believer will be brought out of such a state.

Nevertheless, it affirms that sometimes believers are not always steered in the right direction, contrary to what you say in your first comment. A believe can, according to Westminster live like an unbeliever for a time.

Every Blessing in Christ

Matthew

November 27, 2007 3:39 PM

 
Blogger jazzycat said...

Matthew,
I plan on posting Wed. morning (unless someone posts before I get up) a post that will address your comment.

While FGT wants to make our differences about justification, they are really about sanctification. Our view is that God's intervening grace with power insures sanctification and the results have a Christian growing in obedience and holiness. Your view (correct me if I am wrong) has a redeemed Christian being able to totally resist sanctifying grace and completely thwarting God's will for him to be sanctified. Sanctification is then completed after death in your view in the process of glorification. IMO, the bottom line difference in our views concerns the source and power of salvation and that includes both justification and sanctification.

I prefer Scripture to the WCF for debating these points, although I am in agreement with much if not most of the WCF.

November 27, 2007 6:09 PM

 
Blogger Matthew Celestine said...

Wayne, are you in agreement with the clause I just quoted?

November 28, 2007 3:43 AM

 
Blogger mark pierson said...

Matthew, this observation of yours from the WC is key, "A believe can, according to Westminster live like an unbeliever for a time."

"for a time"... Is in harmony with that portion of the Philippians post that says this: "and if in any respect you have a different attitude of mind, God will make that clear to you also."

Personally, I get convicted in my own walk every time I come to this portion of scripture, as God reveals to me my own "other-minded-ness".

Now, another part of the Philippians quote that is to be observed...
"but I press on to lay hold of (grasp) and make my own, that for which Christ Jesus (the Messiah) has laid hold of me and made me His own."... "that for which Christ Jesus (the Messiah) has laid hold of me..." Paul acknowledges that Christ laid hold of him - and this is true for ALL Christians - for the purpose of Christ-likeness... In this life, as well as when we go to meet Him in the air.

November 28, 2007 7:19 AM

 
Blogger jazzycat said...

Matthew,
I prefer other explanations of sanctification and eternal security than that WCF quote. Mark's comment is very good.

I just posted a post that touches on the subject.

November 28, 2007 9:13 AM

 
Blogger Matthew Celestine said...

A similar statement to that is found in the synod of Dort and in the London Baptist confession.

These creeds represent orthodox Reformed theology.

Were all those godly divines who compiled them mistaken?

November 28, 2007 9:19 AM

 
Blogger jazzycat said...

Matthew,
I did not say the WCF was mistaken. That style of English is difficult for me to grasp with precision.

However, I do not agree with everything in the WCF. Ultimate authority is with Scripture and not the WCF.

I prefer to glean my thinking on sanctification from Scripture, especially Rom. 6 thru 8 and John 17.

Have you checked out my recent post here?

November 28, 2007 10:31 AM

 
Blogger Matthew Celestine said...

Yes.

I cannot think of anything to say in reply. I do not think you have not said anything that you have not said a number of times before.

God Bless

Matthew

November 28, 2007 11:03 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home