LOOKING TO PRAISE AND WORSHIP JESUS THE CHRIST, THE SON OF THE LIVING GOD. 18 No man has ever seen God at any time; the only unique Son, or the only begotten God, Who is in the bosom [in the intimate presence] of the Father, He has declared Him [He has revealed Him and brought Him out where He can be seen; He has interpreted Him and He has made Him known].

Sunday, February 24, 2008

Hidden In A Cleft

Colossians 3:3 For you have died, and your life is hidden with Christ in God.

The ruins of ancient cliff dwellers have been preserved at Mesa Verde National Park in Colorado. As the photo above shows, villages were built in the clefts of cliffs. These buildings provided the inhabitants protection from the elements, enemies, and wild animals. The only way to reach these settlements was with tall ladders, which could be pulled up from the valley floor if necessary. The inhabitants were basically hidden in plain sight from many kinds of harm. They lived in the cleft of a rock.

What peace and comfort it is for Christians to know that the same kind of cleft is available for their spiritual well-being in the person and work of Jesus Christ. He is the rock of our salvation and in him we are not only saved from wrath, but we are also made pure and spotless by his blood sacrifice on the cross of Calvary. There is simply no other way that sinful humans can be accepted by a Holy and just God since the labor of our hands cannot pay this infinite sin debt. Thou must save and Thou alone is the message of the hymn below. Thus, lost sinners flee to the cross for the grace and mercy that is provided by the Rock of Ages. Christians are safe from all spiritual harm when they are hidden in the cleft of this rock. What a joy it is to reflect on line two below where sinners come to Christ and ask to be hidden in his grace and mercy. Praise God, for we know that his cleft is large enough for all who come in faith.

Rock of Ages
Words by: Augustus M. Toplady

Rock of Ages, cleft for me,
Let me hide myself in Thee;
Let the water and the blood,
From Thy wounded side which flowed,
Be of sin the double cure;
Save from wrath and make me pure.

Not the labor of my hands
Can fulfill Thy law’s demands;
Could my zeal no respite know,
Could my tears forever flow,
All for sin could not atone;
Thou must save, and Thou alone.

Nothing in my hand I bring,
Simply to the cross I cling;
Naked, come to Thee for dress;
Helpless look to Thee for grace;
Foul, I to the fountain fly;
Wash me, Savior, or I die.

While I draw this fleeting breath,
When mine eyes shall close in death,
When I soar to worlds unknown,
See Thee on Thy judgment throne,

Rock of Ages, cleft for me,
Let me hide myself in Thee.

14 Comments:

Blogger Baptist Girl said...

The Lord lives! Blessed be my Rock! Let God be exalted, The Rock of my salvation!" (2 Samuel 22:47).

Great Post jazz. I love that hymn.

Cristina

February 24, 2008 11:20 PM

 
Blogger Colin Maxwell said...

Lovely devotional posting. Just great for a Monday morning!

Apparently in his first year (or two) Spurgeon used to quote these lines quite often:

Nothing in my hand I bring,
Simply to the cross I cling;


He was a bit miffed when he got an anonymous letter from someone telling thim that they wer getting fed up hearing about the vacuum in his hand, but he said that he learned his lesson too.

They are great lines though.

Regards,

February 25, 2008 1:49 AM

 
Blogger Maalie said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

February 25, 2008 3:36 AM

 
Blogger lorenzothellama said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

February 25, 2008 6:56 AM

 
Blogger mark pierson said...

Only on topic comments allowed here.

February 25, 2008 8:15 AM

 
Blogger lorenzothellama said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

February 25, 2008 11:08 AM

 
Blogger jazzycat said...

The first deleted comment was taunting and mocking the post by someone who has been banned four times from this blog! The other two were by a relative of the banned person commenting on the mocking comment.

Ban: legal or formal prohibition

The decisions of the blog adminstrator are not open for debate. This is not a public forum where anything goes.

February 25, 2008 11:36 AM

 
Blogger lorenzothellama said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

February 25, 2008 12:14 PM

 
Blogger jazzycat said...

From this post.....
What peace and comfort it is for Christians to know that the same kind of cleft is available for their spiritual well-being in the person and work of Jesus Christ. He is the rock of our salvation and in him we are not only saved from wrath, but we are also made pure and spotless by his blood sacrifice on the cross of Calvary.

I am not upset since I am secure in the cleft of the rock......

February 25, 2008 12:39 PM

 
Blogger lorenzothellama said...

Please don't be cross with me Jazzy. I have just said goodbye to my youngest son and his fiancee who are backpacking around the world. I am very upset after saying goodbye to them. I am worried about their safety and I know I am going to miss them.

If I was one of your regular contributors you would be praying for them and me, not deleting us regardless of whether we are on topic or not. Can't you recognize a sister in distress?

February 25, 2008 2:08 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I didn't think Lorenzo was banned. Only Maalie. Did I miss something.

Lorenzo, I have just prayed for your son and fiance; this is for you:

God, I come before you on behalf of Jill. As a mom, myself, I can relate to her feelings of anxiety. This is a huge undertaking by her son and his fiance, so I ask you to keep them and protect them during their journey. I ask that You ease Jill's worries and anxieties. Help her to rest and trust in You. In the Name of Jesus, AMEN

Jill, how long will they be gone?

Wayne, as I read the post I was reminded of the song (from Psalm 61) that goes:

Hear my cry O Lord attend unto my prayer
From the end of the earth will I cry out to Thee.
When my heart is overwhelmed
Lead me to the Rock that is higher than I
That is higher than I.

For Thou hast been a shelter for me
and a strong tower, from the enemy.
When my heart is overwhelmed,
Lead me to the Rock that is higher than I
That is higher than I.

February 25, 2008 2:20 PM

 
Blogger donsands said...

"See Thee on Thy judgment throne,"

Nothing will ever compare to the blessing this will be for those who genuinely trusted and loved Christ in this age.

And nothing could possibly be as frightening for those who stand in their own trust and did not love Christ in this age.

February 25, 2008 3:06 PM

 
Blogger lorenzothellama said...

Thank you so much Gayla. I really appreciate your prayers and comments.

Joe and Kerry have an open ticket. They are now on their way to Delhi and then onto Katmandu. I expect them to be away for about two years. It is such an exciting time for them, but I know I will miss them terribly.

My eldest son lives in Japan, with his Japanese wife and my little grandson and they hope to visit on their way round the world.

Thanks Bluecollar.

February 25, 2008 4:05 PM

 
Blogger jazzycat said...

Loren,
Yes, our time on earth does have a lot of distress. On my Jazzycat blog I have just posting photo devotional #18 in a series that has a main purpose of providing comfort and peace for people who are aprehensive and in distress, etc. They are not meant for doctrinal debates and I would be delighted if you looked them over and let me know if they succeed in bringing you any sense of peace and comfort.

February 25, 2008 4:06 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home