LOOKING TO PRAISE AND WORSHIP JESUS THE CHRIST, THE SON OF THE LIVING GOD. 18 No man has ever seen God at any time; the only unique Son, or the only begotten God, Who is in the bosom [in the intimate presence] of the Father, He has declared Him [He has revealed Him and brought Him out where He can be seen; He has interpreted Him and He has made Him known].

Thursday, April 24, 2008

Colin Maxwell Expresses My Concerns

Hi

One of the things that I honestly find heard to grasp re: the 1,000 year reign on earth is that if I die first and go to Heaven, then I leave sin (both in myself and others) behind and live in a glorious sin free envoirnment. Well and good. Do I then come back to earth in the Millenium and live with unconverted people who, although restrained, are still basically wicked in their hearts and whose wickedness will eventually break out near the end of the Millenium? As I say, I do struggle with this thought.

Regards,
======================================================
I'm having those same struggles. I'm thinking of buying Kim Riddlebarger's book on the Amill position. You see, the churches I attended as a young Christian were all persuaded by the pre-mill position. During my stay at those churches I began to struggle with that position because I could find no clear teachings from the Bible on it. My concerns hit critical mass when I pondered Ephesians 2 and it struck me that we are right now living in that time period that is the very apex of redemptive history this side of the Eternal State. Why go backwards? Why be persuaded by a system that is very selective in what verses to consider literally? Why go backwards from what Jesus told the woman at the well when He told her that neither on this mountain nor at Jerusalem shall people worship the Father; but that they shall worship in spirit and truth?

Labels:

4 Comments:

Blogger donsands said...

"And to wait for His Son from heaven, Jesus, who delivered us from the wrath to come. ...For what is our hope, joy, or crown of rejoicing? ..even you in the presence of our Lord Jesus Christ at His coming? ...To the end He may stablish your hearts unblameable in holiness before God, even our Father, at the coming of our Lord Jesus Christ with all His saints. ... even so them also which sleep in Jesus will God bring with Him. .. Then we which are alive and remain shall be caught up together with them in the clouds to meet the Lord in the air: and so shall we ever be with the Lord. ... your whole spirit and soul and body be preserved blameless unto the coming of our Lord Jesus Christ." 1 Thes. 1:10-5:23

"And to you who are troubled rest with us, when the Lord Jesus shall be revealed from heaven with His mighty angels,
In flaming fire taking vengeance on them that know not God, and that obey not the Gospel of our Lord Jesus Christ: ...When He shall come to be glorified in His saints ... in that day. ...

Now we urge you, brothers, by the coming of our Lord Jesus Christ, and by our gathering to Him, .. Let no man deceive you by any means: ... except there come a falling away first, and the man of sin be revealed, ... whom the Lord shall consume with the spirit of His mouth, and shall destroy with the brightness of His coming." 2 Thes. 1:7-2:8

Seems to me that Paul was telling these believers that the Lord would be coming back, and that would be the end. One return. I do not see a "Rapture", and then a Second Coming.
For me that is forcing the text.

I'm not sure about the Millenium, but I agree with your struggle as well.

"But the Day of the Lord will come as a theif in the night; ...Looking for and hasting unto the coming of the day of God, wherein the heavens being on fire shall be dissolved, and the elements shall melt with fervent heat. ...according to His promise, look for new heavens and a new earth, wherein dwells righteousness". 2 Peter 3:10,12-13

Seems Peter also wrote of one return. No "Rapture" here that I can see.

Though the Rapture is to most in the Church something that is as basic doctrine as the Gospel itself.

Thanks for the post, and the good thoughts.

April 24, 2008 8:34 AM

 
Blogger mark pierson said...

Don!

Great comment!

I shall be gone most of the day. Hopefully the last of my dad's paperwork applying for medicade will be wrapped up after this.

April 24, 2008 10:04 AM

 
Blogger jazzycat said...

Right on....

April 24, 2008 12:13 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I highly recommend Kim Riddlebarger's "A Case for Amillennialism: Understanding the End Times," not least of which for his well-explained survey of different eschatological views up front.

I find the book to be very thorough and well-written. Easy to understand, which is important to someone like me. :-)

April 26, 2008 11:27 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home