LOOKING TO PRAISE AND WORSHIP JESUS THE CHRIST, THE SON OF THE LIVING GOD. 18 No man has ever seen God at any time; the only unique Son, or the only begotten God, Who is in the bosom [in the intimate presence] of the Father, He has declared Him [He has revealed Him and brought Him out where He can be seen; He has interpreted Him and He has made Him known].

Saturday, December 17, 2005

IMMANUEL

"Therefore the Lord Himself will give you a sign: Behold, the virgin shall conceive and bear a Son, and shall call his name Immanuel.'' Isaiah 7:14

It is just over seven-hundred years before God was manifested in the flesh; Seven centuries before that babe was born in Bethlehem. Such a long time before that glorious moment when the angels would praise God and say, ''Glory to God in the highest, And on earth peace, good will toward men!''

Isaiah is sent to king Ahaz to comfert him and to encourage him concerning the two armies from the north that were coming to conquer Jerusalem. God Himself was going to defend His holy city. God was willing to have Ahaz seek a sign to see if it was so- that God would indeed protect and defend Jerusalem. Ahaz refused to seek a sign from God concerning this matter. So God himself stepped forward and offered a sign anyway. It came in the form of a prophecy that would be fulfilled many years after the time of Ahaz.

A ''virgin shall conceive and bear a Son''.

Nothing is impossible for God. He calls light to shine out of darkness. Yes, The Almighty, in his infinite wisdom, can devise a plan of salvation so awesome, that even the angels desire to look into it. A thrice Holy God providing salvation for a sinfull and rebellious human race that would rather stick its collective fist in His face, rather than submit in obedience to Him.

What kind of a sacrifice would it take to satisfy the righteous demands of a Holy God Who would say, ''It is the blood that makes atonement for the soul'' or ''Without shedding of blood there is no remission''.

Animal sacrifices could not do it, for it is written, ''It is not possible that the blood of bulls and goats could take away sins.''

But, God is just. Sin MUST be dealt with. There is no sin too small. All have sinned. The whole world is guilty before God.

Ah, but the God Who once told ancient Israel ''Though your sins are like scarlet, They shall be as white as snow; Though They are red like crimson, They shall be as wool''; He would have the answer...

''They shall call His name Immanuel'' which is translated, ''God with us''.

Our Savior Immanuel is God, God the Son. ''For in Him, dwells all the fullness of the Godhead bodily'' And ''In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God.''

Who could comprehend the depth and the width of the Wisdom of God in sending His Son to die for the sins of man. What other way could there have been? No other sacrifice would do. No other sacrifice COULD do.

Behold the love of God!

There He is, in His virgin mother's arms. God has partaken of flesh and blood... ''For the suffering of death... That He, by the grace of God, might taste death for everyone.'' Hebrews 2:9

''...The church of God which He purchased with His own blood.'' Acts 20:28

There He is, the Perfect and sinless Son of God... Immanuel, God with us.

God Himself would pay the penalty for the sins of a lost and helpless human race. What a Glorious and Wise God. God is LOVE!

Dear reader, do you know the love of God that can only be found in His Son Jesus Christ?

23 Comments:

Blogger Matthew Celestine said...

Good thoughts. Good post.

God Bless

December 17, 2005 2:23 PM

 
Blogger Steve Weaver said...

Good posts brother! Thanks for your visits and comments on my blog!

December 17, 2005 3:42 PM

 
Blogger Jonathan Moorhead said...

Very theologically sound. Thanks bro.

December 17, 2005 6:01 PM

 
Blogger Matthew Celestine said...

Very nice of you to post a link to my blog. Thanks.

December 17, 2005 6:27 PM

 
Blogger mark pierson said...

Matthew,
Links are for friends

December 17, 2005 6:31 PM

 
Blogger Kc said...

Hi Mark,

I followed your comments on several blogs and finally made my way here to read. This series is excellent and in spite of me being on the opposite side of the theological fence on some issues I've been blessed by your words of love.

Until that day when we all find agreement,

Casey
;-)

December 18, 2005 10:44 AM

 
Blogger mark pierson said...

Pastor Steve: You feed His sheep. I love your work. I want to be an encourgement to you as one of the ones you feed...Thank you!

Kc: May the Lord bless you! Please come again!

Jonathan:You are strong in the faith. I love your blog-fellowship

December 18, 2005 1:45 PM

 
Blogger forgiven said...

Hi Brother,
The True meaning of Christmas. Thats why the world can not say Merry Christmas, because they don't want God with Us .

Friends are thicker than brothers,
You are both......Bless You

December 18, 2005 5:46 PM

 
Blogger mark pierson said...

Doug Rutter,
I wish you and your lovely wife Kathy a very Merry Christmas!

I'll see you on Jan.2. The Lord willing.

I pray for traveling mercies for you and yours as I imagine that you will be traveling to Pa. to see Kathy's mom.

December 18, 2005 6:23 PM

 
Blogger mark pierson said...

Jonathan G,
My powerful Reformed brother: Thanks for stopping by.

December 18, 2005 7:12 PM

 
Blogger Antonio said...

I was deleted!

Marc deleted my comment.

Please ask him why he is treating me this way!

December 18, 2005 8:15 PM

 
Blogger Antonio said...

Mark is deleting my comments because I choose to have my own avatar which is a book by Zane Hodges.

Please ask him to stop, and tell him that it is childish and spiteful to do so!

He has comments on my blog, and I HAVE NOT DELETED THEM!

He deletes mine just because I have a book he has not read in the corner.

Antonio

December 18, 2005 8:17 PM

 
Blogger mark pierson said...

Antonio,

Do you really think anybody cares what you and I talk about on e-mail? Do you really think anybody gives a darn what I think of you or what you think of me?

I for one am only a chicken-scratch blogger in the back-roads of blogdom. I am thankful that anybody comes by here at all.I,for one, have a handle on reality when I acknowledge my own insignificance. How about you?

For the record, I believe Zane Hodges was wrong to refute John MacArthur's "THE GOSPEL ACCORDING TO JESUS". I think you are wrong to not only endorse that book but also to put down my beliefs that the gospel of Jesus is mutilated by your man-made theology.

It is my blog and I will delete what ever I wish without giving an account to anybody!

The fact that you came to my blog earlier to share all the things that I said to you on private e-mails is a confirmation to me that you are not right in the head. That was what got deleted ealier.

I will keep just this one post of yours on this thread to illustrate to the one or two people who pass by here that you are a trouble maker. Any other appearances will be deleted...It's my blog and I'll do what I want.

December 18, 2005 11:30 PM

 
Blogger Matthew Celestine said...

Mark,
I am really thankful to you for the respect you have shown me, despite my not agreeing with all of your theology. This speaks well of you.

I realise this is your blog and you have every right to delete unwanted comments.

Is it fair, however, to brand Antonio a troublemaker? He seems very sincere and genuine to me. I realsie that he is a bit belligerent about promoting his theology, but so are all of us with convictions. I have also offended people in the blogsphere with my belligerence.

Please allow Antonio to leave respectful and courteous comments and restrict deleting his comments to those that are inappropriate.

Feel free to delete this and any others I have left.

Every Blessing in Christ

Matthew

December 19, 2005 4:07 AM

 
Blogger J. Wendell said...

Great post, Mark. God bless you.

December 19, 2005 11:19 AM

 
Blogger Doug E. said...

great post!

Doug

December 19, 2005 12:50 PM

 
Blogger Joe said...

Mark: I am all for the autonomy of the blogger! Go, man, Go!

And, BTW, nice post.

God with us...an astonishing thought!

He is so....creative!

December 19, 2005 2:37 PM

 
Blogger Unknown said...

Isn't it a little ironic that you're blogging on the genorostity of God and are so ungenerous with a fellow believer!

John MacArthur is a gifted and gutsy preacher who has made a great contribution to the church with his ministry. But he thoroughly misrepresented his opponent. And mocked him as well.

Antonio, however, doesn't mock, he boldly asserts his views on the Scriptures. He's like a mild version of the fiery Reformers you claim to honor.

'Merry' Christmas...

December 20, 2005 12:22 AM

 
Blogger mark pierson said...

Hk,
Your defense of your friend is indeed quite touching.

I have noticed that your writing style is very similiar to his. Are you related? I have also noticed that your avatar perfectly compliments his. Do you two purposely coordinate?

If you don't tone down the "'tude" you will suffer the same fate his comments have.

December 20, 2005 10:25 AM

 
Blogger Unknown said...

We're actually from different North American Coasts, he's on the Pacific, I'm on great Lake Michigan.

Never had the pleasure of meeting Antonio in person.

If we write alike it's either the great minds thing or that we've both poured over the same Zane Hodges books! Hodges has a distinctive style that's a mix of eruidite observations and down to earth idioms.

The truth is, bluecollar, that Lordship and Grace people have more in common than you realise. We have both opted out of the smiley face Evangelicalism that downplays and 'wimpisizes' the Holy God of the Bible who hates sin and expresses his judgements through his wrath.

I think you and Antonio will become friends when you give room to each others very, very passionately held opposing views. As you know, tolerance isn't agreement. If he's been intolerant I haven't been privy to that conversation.

But when you and others believe the inaccurate view that free grace people are 'no-lordship advocates', and that they teach when coming to Christ a person can take either option: acceptance of Christ's Lordship or rejection of Christ's Lordship...

...then I can see why you would be expecting us to be laughable, dangerous idiots who had better walk on egg shells or else. That's why I think Antonio is being held to way different standards than other bloggers.

Bluecollar, if you are right about the gospel, then what I believe and teach is not only a false gospel it is an abusive one as well. But try to realise that the reverse for me is also true. And I am sometimes perplexed how few Bereans there are out there who take a fresh look at the Scriptures when a new view is being espoused. Like Rose.

You and Antonio are brothers in the Lord! Couldn't you clearly tell he and I how you want to be treated? Like the private email thing, even if it seems obvious to you, sometimes putting it in words is productive! I'm lapsing into therapist-speak! 8-/ But as your brother and sister in Christ we'll respect your boundaries! (or die trying from the looks of your avatar!)

Seriously, I'm sure Antonio will agree to make our own choices based on your comfort zone.

Lord bless you,

Merry Christmas~~

HK, aka Jodie Sawyer

also, I copied his avatar idea, wihtout even asking, so there was no official conspiracy.

December 20, 2005 11:28 AM

 
Blogger Unknown said...

Thanks, brother...

both for your kind words and for considering a warmer 'cold war'

he he he...

Warmly,

~~Mrs. Sawyer~~

(I love copying people!)

December 20, 2005 12:09 PM

 
Blogger forgiven said...

When our Lord has accomplished in us what he is aiming at, the result will be to
empty us out and to make us discover the utter vanity of self.
God is making, by his grace, beings who will stand next to his throne, but will remain
reverently loyal for ever.

C.H. Spurgeon Quotes

We have to look at our life and see what poeple will see when they look at me ... Is it Jesus? Or someone else I'm following.

"Follow Me"

Merry Christmas Brother

December 20, 2005 4:28 PM

 
Blogger Kitty Cheng said...

yes I do know that love, and I'm forever thankful for that =)

December 22, 2005 10:52 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home