LOOKING TO PRAISE AND WORSHIP JESUS THE CHRIST, THE SON OF THE LIVING GOD. 18 No man has ever seen God at any time; the only unique Son, or the only begotten God, Who is in the bosom [in the intimate presence] of the Father, He has declared Him [He has revealed Him and brought Him out where He can be seen; He has interpreted Him and He has made Him known].

Monday, April 03, 2006

From The Spurgeon Archive: " Compel Them To Come In" (6)

Well brother, I have told you the message, what sayest thou unto it? Do you turn away? You tell me it is nothing to you; you cannot listen to it; that you will hear me by-and-by; but you will go your way this day and attend to your farm and merchandize. Stop brother, I was not told merely to tell you and then go about my business. No; I am told to compel you to come in; and permit me to observe to you before I further go, that there is one thing I can say—and to which God is my witness this morning, that I am in earnest with you in my desire that you should comply with this command of God. You may despise your own salvation, but I do not despise it; you may go away and forget what you shall hear, but you will please to remember that the things I now say cost me many a groan ere I came here to utter them. My inmost soul is speaking out to you, my poor brother, when I beseech you by him that liveth and was dead, and is alive for evermore, consider my master's message which he bids me now address to you.
But do you spurn it? Do you still refuse it? Then I must change my tone a minute. I will not merely tell you the message, and invite you as I do with all earnestness, and sincere affection—I will go further. Sinner, in God's name I command you to repent and believe. Do you ask me whence my authority? I am an ambassador of heaven. My credentials, some of them secret, and in my own heart; and others of them open before you this day in the seals of my ministry, sitting and standing in this hall, where God has given me many souls for my hire. As God the everlasting one hath given me a commission to preach his gospel, I command you to believe in the Lord Jesus Christ; not on my own authority, but on the authority of him who said, "Go ye into all the world and preach the gospel to every creature;" and then annexed this solemn sanction, "He that believeth and is baptized shall be saved, but he that believeth not shall be damned." Reject my message, and remember "He that despised Moses's law, died without mercy under two or three witnesses: of how much sorer punishment, suppose ye, shall he be thought worthy, who hath trodden under foot the Son of God." An ambassador is not to stand below the man with whom he deals, for we stand higher. If the minister chooses to take his proper rank, girded with the omnipotence of God, and anointed with his holy unction, he is to command men, and speak with all authority compelling them to come in: "command, exhort, rebuke with all long-suffering."

5 Comments:

Blogger mark pierson said...

More Bite-size Spurgeon. Now you can see why many Calvinists questioned his Calvinism. He lost no sleep over that either.

April 03, 2006 6:47 AM

 
Blogger jel said...

That Spurgeon, must have been somekindof a minister!

thanks bluecollar,

have a great day!

April 03, 2006 7:22 AM

 
Blogger mark pierson said...

Janice: Good morning! Spurgeon is my all time favorite. I am currently reading his 2 volume autobiography, my second time through. He did not care if he offended Calvinist or non Calvinist. All he cared about was preaching what HE saw in the word.

Your visits are a blessing! Thank you.

April 03, 2006 7:37 AM

 
Blogger Joe said...

"I am told to compel you to come in..."

The modern church has become so PC and afraid to offend that we have forgotten the compellation of God for us to compel.

Spurgeon was a right fair sermonizer.

April 04, 2006 6:22 AM

 
Blogger mark pierson said...

Joe, YOU are a right fair sermonizer!

April 04, 2006 7:16 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home