LOOKING TO PRAISE AND WORSHIP JESUS THE CHRIST, THE SON OF THE LIVING GOD. 18 No man has ever seen God at any time; the only unique Son, or the only begotten God, Who is in the bosom [in the intimate presence] of the Father, He has declared Him [He has revealed Him and brought Him out where He can be seen; He has interpreted Him and He has made Him known].

Friday, April 07, 2006

From The Spurgeon Archive:"Compel Them To Come In" (9)

I entreat you let this message enter your heart for another reason. I picture myself standing at the bar of God. As the Lord liveth, the day of judgment is coming. You believe that? You are not an infidel; your conscience would not permit you to doubt the Scripture. Perhaps you may have pretended to do so, but you cannot. You feel there must be a day when God shall judge the world in righteousness. I see you standing in the midst of that throng, and the eye of God is fixed on you. It seems to you that he is not looking anywhere else, but only upon you, and he summons you before him; and he reads your sins, and he cries, "Depart ye cursed into everlasting fire in hell!" My hearer, I cannot bear to think of you in that position; it seems as if every hair on my head must stand on end to think of any hearer of mine being damned. Will you picture yourselves in that position? The word has gone forth, "Depart, ye cursed." Do you see the pit as it opens to swallow you up? Do you listen to the shrieks and the yells of those who have preceded you to that eternal lake of torment? Instead of picturing the scene, I turn to you with the words of the inspired prophet, and I say, "Who among us shall dwell with the devouring fire? Who among us shall dwell with everlasting burnings?" Oh! my brother, I cannot let you put away religion thus; no, I think of what is to come after death. I should be destitute of all humanity if I should see a person about to poison himself, and did not dash away the cup; or if I saw another about to plunge from London Bridge, if I did not assist in preventing him from doing so; and I should be worse than a fiend if I did not now, with all love, and kindness, and earnestness, beseech you to "lay hold on eternal life," "to labour not for the meat that perisheth, but for the meat that endureth unto everlasting life."
Some hyper-calvinist would tell me I am wrong in so doing. I cannot help it. I must do it. As I must stand before my Judge at last, I feel that I shall not make full proof of my ministry unless I entreat with many tears that ye would be saved, that ye would look unto Jesus Christ and receive his glorious salvation.

5 Comments:

Blogger mark pierson said...

Just in case there was any question about whether a Calvinist would have concern for lost souls.

April 07, 2006 7:28 AM

 
Blogger jel said...

A chilling post!


Morning Mark!

thanks for stopping by,my blog and leaving a word :)

have a great day!

April 07, 2006 8:11 AM

 
Blogger mark pierson said...

Janice: Thank you so much for your daily visits. They keep me encouraged to go on.

April 07, 2006 10:50 AM

 
Blogger jel said...

Hey Mark!
have a great weekend!
and safe one :)

April 07, 2006 6:04 PM

 
Blogger J. Wendell said...

Hi Mark,

Then there are others,"Some hyper-calvinist would tell me I am wrong in so doing."

The Calvinists that come to my mind more readily are concerned for souls.

Good read,
buddy John

April 10, 2006 6:17 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home