LOOKING TO PRAISE AND WORSHIP JESUS THE CHRIST, THE SON OF THE LIVING GOD. 18 No man has ever seen God at any time; the only unique Son, or the only begotten God, Who is in the bosom [in the intimate presence] of the Father, He has declared Him [He has revealed Him and brought Him out where He can be seen; He has interpreted Him and He has made Him known].

Tuesday, April 11, 2006

Spurgeon on Assurance

"The Holy Spirit, who enabled me to believe, gave me peace through believing. I felt as sure that I was forgiven as before I felt sure of condemnation. I had been certain of my condemnation because the Word of God declared it, and my conscience bore witness to it, but when the Lord justified me, I was equally certain by the same witness. The Word of the Lord in scripture saith, "He that believeth on Him is not condemned," and my conscience bore witness that I believed, and that God in pardoning me was just. Thus I had the witness of the Holy Spirit and also my own conscience, and these two agreed in one."

Taken From C.H.Spurgeon Autobiography: Vol.1 "The Early Years" page 92

In this same paragraph Spurgeon goes on to put down the teachings of a certain Dr. Johnson who held to the idea that no man could have assurance of faith. Spurgeon said that such a man was no reliable judge of theology. He added that Dr. Johnson should have studied his Bible a little more, and have a little more enlightenment of the Holy Spirit, then he too would have come to know his own pardon.

I whole heartedly agree!

I am sick of these super-spiritual people, who claim to be Calvinist, running around Christendom claiming that no man can have assurance. What a lie!

6 Comments:

Blogger mark pierson said...

This PERFECTLY reflects my views on assurance

April 12, 2006 7:41 AM

 
Blogger jel said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

April 12, 2006 7:56 AM

 
Blogger jel said...

sorry about that :(

Thanks Mark


you have a great Day! :)

April 12, 2006 7:58 AM

 
Blogger mark pierson said...

Janice: Your visits are what helps me to have a great day! Thank you!

April 12, 2006 10:07 AM

 
Blogger Doug E. said...

Good post Mark. The idea of "sanctification now" has been a poor addition to the theology of the reformers.

Doug

April 12, 2006 9:11 PM

 
Blogger J. Wendell said...

Hi Mark,
I have always felt that based upon the doctrine of election, that our salvation begins and is secure from the moment we trust Christ. Great post ... thanks for your wisdom.

buddy John

April 12, 2006 9:41 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home