LOOKING TO PRAISE AND WORSHIP JESUS THE CHRIST, THE SON OF THE LIVING GOD. 18 No man has ever seen God at any time; the only unique Son, or the only begotten God, Who is in the bosom [in the intimate presence] of the Father, He has declared Him [He has revealed Him and brought Him out where He can be seen; He has interpreted Him and He has made Him known].

Monday, February 12, 2007

John 6:37

John 6:37: All that the Father gives me will come to me, and whoever comes to me I will never cast out.

In the photo above, Jazzycat is chasing a squirrel even though she has an all you can eat buffet available 24/7. The desire to chase this squirrel is irresistible because of her God given predator nature. There are several truths in John 6:37, including the eternal security of believers and election. However, let’s focus on the first half of this verse where Jesus states: “All that the Father gives me will come to me.” We know that all human beings do not believe and come to Christ and, from verse 35, we know that coming to Christ has the same meaning as believing in Christ. Those that believe in Christ and come to Christ have eternal life. Therefore, the Father gives Jesus people who will come and receive eternal life, and all (100%) will come. The inescapable conclusion is that God intervenes and plants an irresistible desire for some to come and believe, but He does not plant this desire in everyone. If it were not irresistible, then it would not be 100% effective. If it is 100% effective, then some do not receive this desire to come. Therefore, this intervention implants a saving grace that is irresistible and that is why Jesus said, “All that the Father gives to me will come to me.” Irresistible grace gives a sinner an irresistible desire to willingly come to faith in Jesus Christ. This grace is imparted during regeneration and that is why Jesus said, “You must be born again” (John 3:3) and Paul said that faith is a gift (Eph. 2:8). Just like Jazzycat has a God given nature and a desire to willingly be a predator, a born again sinner has a God given new nature and a desire to willingly come to faith in Jesus Christ.

Grace does more than make salvation possible: it actually saves sinners. Amazing grace. If God gives His grace to bring sinners to faith, it is logical that grace will carry them home (Romans 8:30).

8 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wayne, I can't begin to tell you what this truth did for my heart, my life, the way I view God - everything - when He graciously illuminated this truth to me.

Well said, friend. I just love reading what you write.

February 12, 2007 7:42 PM

 
Blogger mark pierson said...

Wayne, that was so well said, so clear and easy to understand. The picture was perfect for the illustration. Excellent post.

February 13, 2007 8:23 AM

 
Blogger Craver Vii said...

Great picture!

Faith is surely a gift; I do not doubt that at all. But I have a question. Is Ephesians 2:8-10 saying singularly that “faith” is the gift he is speaking of, or is it the complete package of salvation (including grace)? When I look at this passage, it seems to me to be talking about salvation as the gift, while "grace through faith" is the process. I had an inconclusive discussion about this very thing last night.

February 13, 2007 10:49 AM

 
Blogger mark pierson said...

Craver ii - It depends on which scholar you consult. MacArthur belives it is talking about the whole preceding clause while Boice conceded it is talking about salvation, but was quick to add that faith here would be a human work if it arose un-implanted (my term, yes, I coin my own phrases at times) by God. In effect Boice is almost saying the same thing as MacArthur.

February 13, 2007 11:09 AM

 
Blogger Craver Vii said...

Sproul said that “faith” is the antecedent to “that (not of yourselves),” so the passage is saying that faith is the gift being referred to—according to R.C. That’s easy to swallow if you’re already Reformed, but ultimately, I would like to be able to exegete this passage in a way that says, “It doesn’t matter what you think of these reformed scholars, THIS is what the Bible is saying here…”

February 13, 2007 12:56 PM

 
Blogger mark pierson said...

I don't think you'll ever to be able to do that because there are plenty of scholars on the Non-Calvinist side to disagree with you.

Ultimately even the scholars themselves let their theology steer them. I've been watching this debate for years. There is NEVER going to be agreement on what the "gift"is. Naturally, I'll go the Reformed route.

February 13, 2007 1:24 PM

 
Blogger jazzycat said...

Mark and Craver,
Thanks for the input.
There are so many strong passages that point to man's inability to come to faith in and of himself, that faith being a gift does not ride on this one verse alone. If God has to do something to cause faith to happen, then it (faith) is from God and is a gift.

The Romans 8 series over at "Jazzycat" is really teaching me once again that grace is from God and applied by God. That would of course make faith a gift.

Wayne

February 13, 2007 2:50 PM

 
Blogger Baptist Girl said...

Great Post Jazzcat! Grace what a wonderful gift.

Cristina

February 13, 2007 9:58 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home