LOOKING TO PRAISE AND WORSHIP JESUS THE CHRIST, THE SON OF THE LIVING GOD. 18 No man has ever seen God at any time; the only unique Son, or the only begotten God, Who is in the bosom [in the intimate presence] of the Father, He has declared Him [He has revealed Him and brought Him out where He can be seen; He has interpreted Him and He has made Him known].

Sunday, March 30, 2008

Berean-Stein Bares.

I never did like the Berenstain Bears. It was too repetitive, and they always made the father bear look like a fool. Not my kind of kids book.

But I do like the word play.

First, This (http://www.expelledthemovie.com/) looks to be a promising movie. Check out the extended trailer.

Second, how many times have you heard that the term "Christian" literally means "little Christ". I have heard that in too many sermons to count, and read it on too many places to remember. So I was a bit shocked this morning as I was looking at the Greek word Christianos and trying to see where and how this meant "little Christ".

After some checking, it seems that Martin Luther actually coined the phrase, and it is by no means a literal translation. The ending -ianos came into the Greek through the Latin practice of appending an -ianus to the name of someone somebody else was following, in order to identify a follower. We do the same sort of thing today with endings such as -ite (Hodge-ite, Ryrie-ite, etc.). Thus the label "Christian" - which was originally derogatory - simply means someone who is devoted to Christ.

As one who has regurgitated (rather uncritically) this myth myself, perhaps not here, but certainly somewhere - I repent in dust and ashes.

Labels:

6 Comments:

Blogger donsands said...

I'm looking forward to this movie as well. RC Sproul interviewed Ben Stein. I didn't hear it myself, but a friend told me.

"Little Christs". I never liked that, and never could say it myself, but heard it many times.

Thanks for digging a little deeper, and sharing your findings. Very encouraging.

Have a blessed Lord's day.

March 30, 2008 8:38 AM

 
Blogger Jonathan Moorhead said...

Daniel, that is very inter-esting. I've never looked into the history of the word.

March 30, 2008 11:55 AM

 
Blogger Scribe said...

Interestingly enough I've been hearing this phrase a lot lately, and, quite honestly, it never bodes well with me. Thanks for doing the research on this Daniel...

March 30, 2008 10:42 PM

 
Blogger Baptist Girl said...

Looking forward to seeing the Movie,I love listening to Ben Stiens.I have heard christians use the Phrase Little Christs" and never really felt comfortable hearing it. As Donsand said, very interesting

Cristina

March 31, 2008 7:23 AM

 
Blogger Baptist Girl said...

Sam,
It's good to see you back. *S*

Cristina

March 31, 2008 7:26 AM

 
Blogger Scribe said...

Thanks Cristina =)

April 01, 2008 8:36 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home