LOOKING TO PRAISE AND WORSHIP JESUS THE CHRIST, THE SON OF THE LIVING GOD. 18 No man has ever seen God at any time; the only unique Son, or the only begotten God, Who is in the bosom [in the intimate presence] of the Father, He has declared Him [He has revealed Him and brought Him out where He can be seen; He has interpreted Him and He has made Him known].

Saturday, April 26, 2008

Ahhh, getting old...

I look at my Bench-Press trophies in my basement. They represent a time period of between August, 1987 through May, 1990. I was in my bench-press prime back then, ages 30 through 32. I was drug free and benched in the 385 pound range at the body weight of 217. As I said, my last contest was in May of 1990.

So long ago.

Now? Well... I weigh 267 and, on a good day, maybe I can bench 335. I could prolly go 20 to 30 pounds more but, since I now train by myself, I don't dare try. I'm 51 years old and am losing my strength levels. But, I "press" on. Gotta take them vitamines, "Animal Pack" daily packs. There are ten tablets in those packages, a small meal in themselves.

I think that athletes have a better handle on their mortality than the average person. One cannot but acknowledge diminished abilities as they unfold before your eyes. Only fools deny the obvious. My powerlifting friends are all going through this too. About twice a year I get together with one of them to train. Together we look at what we can lift now and compare it to back then. We're getting old.

Bob, my "coach" he's 58 and still lifts in contests. He took home a NYS record in the "Dead Lift" this past November. Good for him. Maybe, the Lord willing, I can enter a contest yet again. I can no longer lift in the "Open" division where the younger men lift - 20 to 45 year olds. Instead, I must compete in the "seniors" division. That would be great to shoot for.

Enough rambling.

Labels:

5 Comments:

Blogger jazzycat said...

Mark,
I think you ought to give the senior division a shot....

April 27, 2008 1:53 PM

 
Blogger mark pierson said...

Thanks, Wayne.

April 27, 2008 2:33 PM

 
Blogger donsands said...

That's cool. I remember when i played football in high school I benched 185, and that's the best I could do, and ever did. I cannot imagine 385! You have Joel Osteen by 85 lbs.

And at 55 I look back sometimes and wish I could run and throw like I used to. But it ain't gonna happen.

But we have our new bodies waiting for us. Jesus went to prepare that for us. What a Savior.

Thanks Mark for sharing that about yourself. Very nice to read.

Have a great week in His love and grace.

April 27, 2008 8:12 PM

 
Blogger Even So... said...

Yeaaaaaahhhh! You know I love posts like this Blue...motivating, for sure...I think a man, IF he stays at it (I haven't), actually can increase in strength until he is 50-55, but it is the RECOVERY that drops off so significantly after 35, and so the lifting suffers, and therfore, the apathy and atrophy of age...I rememebr, just a couple of years ago, lifting the youth over my head with one arm, but last Sunday, I tried, and it felt like a ton a bricks with a 13 year old...sad, this little short guy (me) used to love to show off to everyone with my people lifting...perhaps my sinful pride is the source of my lack of strength, but in any event, I enjoyed ths post...

April 28, 2008 1:43 PM

 
Blogger Dawn said...

Mark, just don't hurt yourself! I think back on when I was so very active and athletic. I ran track, was on the swim team, played fast pitch softball and enjoyed gymnastics. I really wish I would have kept up with some of it and I need to be taking vitamins! I'm glad you're taking them.

April 28, 2008 4:37 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home