LOOKING TO PRAISE AND WORSHIP JESUS THE CHRIST, THE SON OF THE LIVING GOD. 18 No man has ever seen God at any time; the only unique Son, or the only begotten God, Who is in the bosom [in the intimate presence] of the Father, He has declared Him [He has revealed Him and brought Him out where He can be seen; He has interpreted Him and He has made Him known].

Thursday, July 24, 2008

Now I Gone And Done It

Yup, this past weekend I ordered and payed for Ryrie's "So Great A Salvation". I figured that since I'm reading through MacArthur's twentieth anniverary eddition of "The Gospel According To Jesus" I might just as well give Ryrie a fair read.

From the site meter I want to say "Hi" to Kevl from Canada and Brian from Bracey, Virginia. Hope y'all have found some interesting things here at BC blog.

Kevl, you know what I've noticed at your blog? You, Lou, and JP try to hammer on reformed people who use a systematic approach to interpreting scripture - actually, it is known as the "analogy of faith" approach, where scripture interprets scripture - and yet in order for you all to arrive at your own conclusions you too must be rather systematic. This whole idea of separating the call to salvation from the call to discipleship, well, before Chafer, just how much of Christian history is filled with people holding to such a notion? And do spare me the response of "since the writing of the New Testament". Tell ya what: let's go back to the Reformation, and coming forth from then, 'K?

Labels:

4 Comments:

Blogger mark pierson said...

If my wife finds out that I'm blogging again....It'll be curtains for me.

July 24, 2008 10:39 AM

 
Blogger jazzycat said...

Mark,
Will she send you to blogger’s anonymous? ;)

Hmmm! I have noticed some strange tendencies from those who deny Calvinism. I guess the most striking is to see them read things into passages that just simply are not there, and the most amazing of all is their assertion that since an epistle is addressed to believers, then every characteristic and behavior mentioned in an epistle is about believers. With this logic, Paul is talking about believers toward the end of Romans 1.

July 25, 2008 10:17 AM

 
Blogger Only Look said...

Hi Mark.

The book of John says Joseph of Arimathea was a disciple of Jesus in secret.

We are all disciples when we get saved. I will give you that, but like Joseph, I dont think all respond to the call to discipleship and its demands and some believers still sin unto death as the child of God is warned to stay away from Idols. I think a lot of times it is all a matter of terms. I like Ryries approach, but sometimes he nickle and dimes as well and I find myself agreeing in areas of MacArthurs insight, but I am closer to the base of Ryries approach and clarity with the gospel message. I still dont think we need to tell people to pick up their crosses to get saved. Jesus assurred Joseph of Arimatheas salvation even while he cowered in fear of his fellow Pharisees and did only take courage when the other disciples scattered.

I still stand by what Lou is doing, not because I am encouraged by his personal quibs but because he is indeed in his fallibility clearly standing for the truth of the presentation of the gospel message.

Even Spurgeon warned that we should never take the word rest from its place before its time. Do I agree with spurgeon on everything? No, he believed that the earth was millions of years old, yet he still had keen insight into biblical truth and did represent our Lord well and better than most preachers as does MacArthur and many other men of God, but I am thankful that I am not bound to any paticular preacher, however I do want to encourage men of God who stick consistently to the gospel message and I unashamedly believe the handling of the gospel message is done with clarity and the best way by men who are concerned in the careful handling of it like Ryrie and Lou.

Good to see you with your beloved family. What a blessing they are to you. How God has blessed you with a family that loves you so. You must be so proud of David.

Grace upon grace,

Brian

July 26, 2008 9:37 PM

 
Blogger Only Look said...

I do love to read this blog though and find many blessings from time to time in the midst of the fray of the rough debates, but there are some blogs I stay away from, and if this signature is found on their sitemeters it may well be my wife and I cannot help that. It is a free country, but I am thankful that she stays alert to the areas I visit or have visited.

May God continue to sanctify us daily and draw us closer to himself in His holiness.

July 26, 2008 9:44 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home