LOOKING TO PRAISE AND WORSHIP JESUS THE CHRIST, THE SON OF THE LIVING GOD. 18 No man has ever seen God at any time; the only unique Son, or the only begotten God, Who is in the bosom [in the intimate presence] of the Father, He has declared Him [He has revealed Him and brought Him out where He can be seen; He has interpreted Him and He has made Him known].

Tuesday, October 07, 2008

He's seen so much...

Fifty-one years ago my dad would take care of my diapers. Now, in his last stay at the hospital, it was time for me to take care of his.

Wow, the things he has seen in the mean time.

My mom and dad had two sons - myself, and my younger brother, Ron.

Throughout the '60's we were a pretty average low middle class family. We were happy, and very close-knit.

That was the '60's.

The '70's were a different story.

In that decade my dad would see the company that he had worked for for so many years decide that if supervisors did not have a college education then they were not fit for that position. Well, as it turns out, he was a supervisor, but did not have a college education. He was demoted. He went from wearing a tie to work to wearing a blue work uniform. He took it in stride. He took to polishing his workboots daily. That was the way he could maintain his dignity.

Also in that decade he would see his younger son go from job to job, thinking that each job was beneath him. He would also see that son adopt a "free-spirit" way of life. How these things pained my dad. I watched him spend time in fasting and prayer, joining his prayers with those of my mother for my brother's salvation.

That was also the decade where he saw his other son, me, almost lose his life in a serious car accident.

What a toll this was taking on him.

In the 1990's my brother began to experience blindness; also he needed a walker to get around. At this same time my mother was becoming very frail. Her congestive heart failure was becoming worse and worse. My dad was now her care-taker - he himself beginning to suffer from a nerve disorder that has now left him chair-ridden.

Then one day in May of 1999 my brother complained of a strange feeling type of head-ache; such as one he had never felt before. He told my parents that he thought he was dying. By the end of that day he was gone. My father was there as they put him on a respirator. By that time my brother's body was twitching, brain-dead. My dad was there just as they shut off the respirator, and my brother breathed his last.

Such sorrow.

Fast forward to March, 2005. Now it was his wife that was on her deathbed. He watched as his wife, gasping for air, begged me to help her breath. This woman who had led so very many to faith in Christ, who had been a helper of the brethren, a prayer warrior, was now gasping for every breath. My dad could only watch, unable to help his poor wife.

Maybe it is a good thing that his memory is gone.

This old earth is not our final home.

5 Comments:

Blogger jazzycat said...

Mark,
Very touching story. My heart goes out to you and your dad as well as my prayers.
wayne

October 07, 2008 9:39 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Praise God this earth is not our final destination! Mark, very heartfelt story, and that was just a quick summary of years worth. I'm sure it doesn't even begin to scratch the surface. Thank you for sharing it; it's not easy. But sometimes the actual writing out of things helps purge the turmoil we feel inside, and that helps us to feel a bit better.

I'm studying James right now and am just hanging out in chapter one: Consider it all joy, my brethren, when you encounter various trials, knowing that the testing of your faith produces endurance. And let endurance have its perfect result, so that you may be perfect and complete, lacking in nothing.

Thoughout his life, your dad has been being made complet - purified, sanctified. Renewed and transformed more fully into the image of Christ. He has been a partaker in the sufferings of Christ. He has run the race well. Take heart, as he leaves you a rich legacy.

Your friend~
Gayla

October 07, 2008 9:56 AM

 
Blogger Rose~ said...

Mark,
Some people have to go through a lot of emotional stress in their lives. My mom is like that. Having 7 children, she lost her husband suddenly at the age of 48 to a heart attck; 2 years later her son lost .25 of his body in a car accident. etc...

Then again, it is all relevent - a lot of people have had to endure far worse and some far less. It does make me fear for what I may have to go through. I comfort myself with the fact that God will bring me through it all. He will never leave us; there's no where we can go to get away from Him when we're trying to hide... and on the positive side, there's no sadness so low that He isn't right there with us to lighten an otherwise unbearable burden.

Thank God the things that are seen are not all there is, but are fading shadows.

We will pray for your dad.

October 07, 2008 10:00 AM

 
Blogger Baptist Girl said...

Hi Mark,
Your dad is in my prayer. It's so hard watching your parents age. I'm glad you are there for him Mark.

Cristina

October 07, 2008 5:01 PM

 
Blogger mark pierson said...

Wayne, Gayla, Rose, Cristina -

Very meaningful visits, one and all.

During this time with my dad in this last chapter of his life also reveals selfishness within me-- times when during my visits with him when I'd rather be some place else. Shamefull.

October 08, 2008 6:29 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home