LOOKING TO PRAISE AND WORSHIP JESUS THE CHRIST, THE SON OF THE LIVING GOD. 18 No man has ever seen God at any time; the only unique Son, or the only begotten God, Who is in the bosom [in the intimate presence] of the Father, He has declared Him [He has revealed Him and brought Him out where He can be seen; He has interpreted Him and He has made Him known].

Tuesday, May 09, 2006

Salvation By Knowing The Truth pt.2 - Spurgeon

Does not the text mean that it is the wish of God that men should be saved? The word "wish" gives as much force to the original as it really requires, and the passage should run thus—"whose wish it is that all men should be saved and come to a knowledge of the truth." As it is my wish that it should be so, as it is your wish that it might be so, so it is God's wish that all men should be saved; for, assuredly, he is not less benevolent than we are. Then comes the question, "But if he wishes it to be so, why does he not make it so? " Beloved friend, have you never heard that a fool may ask a question which a wise man cannot answer, and, if that be so, I am sure a wise person, like yourself, can ask me a great many questions which, fool as I am, I am yet not foolish enough to try to answer. Your question is only one form of the great debate of all the ages,—"If God be infinitely good and powerful, why does not his power carry out to the full all his beneficence?" It is God's wish that the oppressed should go free, yet there are many oppressed who are not free. It is God's wish that the sick should not suffer. Do you doubt it? Is it not your own wish? And yet the Lord does not work a miracle to heal every sick person. It is God's wish that his creatures should be happy. Do you deny that? He does not interpose by any miraculous agency to make us all happy, and yet it would be wicked to suppose that he does not wish the happiness of all the creatures that he has made. He has an infinite benevolence which, nevertheless, is not in all points worked out by his infinite omnipotence; and if anybody asked me why it is not, I cannot tell. I have never set up to be an explainer of all difficulties, and I have no desire to do so. It is the same old question as that of the negro who said, "Sare, you say the devil makes sin in the world." "Yes, the devil makes a deal of sin." "And you say that God hates sin." "Yes." "Then why does not he kill the devil and put an end to it?" Just so. Why does he not? Ah, my black friend, you will grow white before that question is answered. I cannot tell you why God permits moral evil, neither can the ablest philosopher on earth, nor the highest angel in heaven.
This is one of those things which we do not need to know. Have you never noticed that some people who are ill and are ordered to take pills are foolish enough to chew them? That is a very nauseous thing to do, though I have done it myself. The right way to take medicine of such a kind is to swallow it at once. In the same way there are some things in the Word of God which are undoubtedly true which must be swallowed at once by an effort of faith, and must not be chewed by perpetual questioning. You will soon have I know not what of doubt and difficulty and bitterness upon your soul if you must needs know the unknowable, and have reasons and explanations for the sublime and the mysterious. Let the difficult doctrines go down whole into your very soul, by a grand exercise of confidence in God.
I thank God for a thousand things I cannot understand. When I cannot get to know the reason why, I say to myself, "Why should I know the reason why? Who am I, and what am I, that I should demand explanations of my God?" I am a most unreasonable being when I am most reasonable, and when my judgment is most accurate I dare not trust it. I had rather trust my God. I am a poor silly child at my very best: my Father must know better than I. An old parable-maker tells us that he shut himself up in his study because he had to work out a difficult problem. His little child came knocking at the door, and he said "Go away, John: you cannot understand what father is doing; let father alone." Master Johnny for that very reason felt that he must get in and see what father was doing—a true symbol of our proud intellects; we must pry into forbidden things, and uncover that which is concealed. In a little time upon the sill, outside the window, stood Master Johnny, looking in through the window at his father; and if his father had not with the very tenderest care just taken him away from that very dangerous position, there would have been no Master Johnny left on the face of the earth to exercise his curiosity in dangerous elevations. Now, God sometimes shuts the door, and says, "My child, it is so: be content to believe." "But," we foolishly cry. "Lord, why is it so?" "It is so, my child," he says. "But why, Father, is it so?" "It is so, my child, believe me." Then we go speculating, climbing the ladders of reasoning, guessing, speculating, to reach the lofty windows of eternal truth. Once up there we do not know where we are, our heads reel, and we are in all kinds of uncertainty and spiritual peril. If we mind things too high for us we shall run great risks. I do not intend meddling with such lofty matters. There stands the text, and I believe that it is my Father's wish that "all men should be saved, and come to the knowledge of the truth." But I know, also, that he does not will it, so that he will save any one of them, unless they believe in his dear Son; for he has told us over and over that he will not. He will not save any man except he forsakes his sins, and turns to him with full purpose of heart: that I also know. And I know, also, that he has a people whom he will save, whom by his eternal love he has chosen, and whom by his eternal power he will deliver. I do not know how that squares with this; that is another of the things I do not know. If I go on telling you of all that I do not know, and of all that I do know, I will warrant you that the things that I do not know will be a hundred to one of the things that I do know. And so we will say no more about the matter, but just go on to the more practical part of the text. God's wish about man's salvation is this,—that men should be saved and come to the knowledge of the truth.

10 Comments:

Blogger mark pierson said...

Please visit the Spurgeon Archive at the bottom of my blogroll.

Have a blessed day!
Mark

May 09, 2006 8:45 AM

 
Blogger jel said...

hey mark,
it is storming here so can't stay on long, just wanted to say good morning, will come back here and read this when I can!

God Bless
have a great day!

May 09, 2006 8:45 AM

 
Blogger mark pierson said...

Janice: Come back after the storm!

May 09, 2006 8:48 AM

 
Blogger jel said...

hey Mark,

I read the post, and it was worth the read, God wants all of us to be saved, but he won't because of the free will, he gave us, if we want to be saved we have to do the asking! and if God's takes all the pain and all the bad thing away, and we would get this false feeling that we don't him,
anyway that is my take on this is !


take care

May 09, 2006 12:46 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think that many times, the ONLY intellectually honest thing we can say is "I don't know." The Scriptures tell us that God will have mercy and compassion on those whom He will. We don't know all the reasons *why* He does what He does. He just does.

Reading thru the Bible again this year (I'm in 1 Chron right now), I see throughout the texts that God does what He does 'for His name sake' - and that is worded many different ways. Bottom line, though, He does what He does for the glory of His Name. So I can trust that either way - those who go to heaven and those who do not - it is still for His glory and His renown. Difficult to swallow? Yeah, sometimes it is. But that's where God's grace comes in.

I'm getting a good education on Spurgeon!

May 09, 2006 1:46 PM

 
Blogger Bhedr said...

BEAUTIFUL!

May 09, 2006 5:19 PM

 
Blogger forgiven said...

My Brother
That Is so so Great ("This is one of those things which we do not need to know")
What are we to Learn on this !!!!

Thanks Pal

May 09, 2006 8:35 PM

 
Blogger mark pierson said...

Janice: That is the first time that you went in depth sharing your thoughts with me. Thank you!
This is how I can get to know you better. Please do this more.

Gayla: I love your visits. I too love it when Spurgeon says, "I don't know". I agree, that is the intellectually honest thing to do.

Brian: Thanks for coming by.

Doug:I'll see you later,dude.

May 10, 2006 7:08 AM

 
Blogger jel said...

morning Mark,

I'm not much in to sharing , my feeling, long story,

take care
have a great day!

May 10, 2006 7:21 AM

 
Blogger Bhedr said...

I come by every day. I guess I don't always comment though. God stuff though...always

May 10, 2006 7:05 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home