LOOKING TO PRAISE AND WORSHIP JESUS THE CHRIST, THE SON OF THE LIVING GOD. 18 No man has ever seen God at any time; the only unique Son, or the only begotten God, Who is in the bosom [in the intimate presence] of the Father, He has declared Him [He has revealed Him and brought Him out where He can be seen; He has interpreted Him and He has made Him known].

Sunday, February 18, 2007

Christ Is Preached

Christ Is Preached to an Ethiopian

26 Now an angel of the Lord spoke to Philip, saying, “Arise and go toward the south along the road which goes down from Jerusalem to Gaza.” This is desert. 27 So he arose and went. And behold, a man of Ethiopia, a eunuch of great authority under Candace the queen of the Ethiopians, who had charge of all her treasury, and had come to Jerusalem to worship, 28 was returning. And sitting in his chariot, he was reading Isaiah the prophet. 29 Then the Spirit said to Philip, “Go near and overtake this chariot.” 30 So Philip ran to him, and heard him reading the prophet Isaiah, and said, “Do you understand what you are reading?” 31 And he said, “How can I, unless someone guides me?” And he asked Philip to come up and sit with him. 32 The place in the Scripture which he read was this:

“ He was led as a sheep to the slaughter; And as a lamb before its shearer is silent, So He opened not His mouth. 33 In His humiliation His justice was taken away, And who will declare His generation? For His life is taken from the earth.”

[b]34 So the eunuch answered Philip and said, “I ask you, of whom does the prophet say this, of himself or of some other man?” 35 Then Philip opened his mouth, and beginning at this Scripture, preached Jesus to him. 36 Now as they went down the road, they came to some water. And the eunuch said, “See, here is water. What hinders me from being baptized?” 37 Then Philip said, “If you believe with all your heart, you may.” And he answered and said, “I believe that Jesus Christ is the Son of God.”[c]38 So he commanded the chariot to stand still. And both Philip and the eunuch went down into the water, and he baptized him.

This portion of scripture is dear to my heart.

An angel tells Philip where to go. As Philip arrives there just happens to be a man reading from the prophet Isaiah while riding in his chariot, and what we know today as chapter 53 at that. The Holy Spirit tells Philip to join himself to this chariot. As he obediently does so he hears the man reading from Isaiah. The man could not understand who it was that Isaiah was writing about. Ah, but Philip knew. Philip knew that One Who was led like a sheep to the slaughter; he knew that One Who did not open His Mouth, Whose life was taken from the earth. Yes, Philip knew Him quite well.

You notice that from that very portion of scripture Philip was able to preach Christ to him. I imagine that conversation lasted a good while. It seems to me that Philip covered a lot of ground here. It is evident that Philip taught on discipleship, for you'll notice that the man WANTED to be baptized. I see here that Philip had the entirety of the Great Commission in view in his mind's eye as he presented the gospel message. The man was presented the Gospel message, he believed it with all his heart, was baptized, and went away a believer, a disciple of Christ.

More later.

13 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Morning Mark,

good post,
I have read this the bible a few times, I have a Q? about this
I might have ask this before,but

after the eunch was baptised

it says ,~~ 39- and when they were come up out of the water, the spirit of the Lord caught away Philip that the euch saw him no more, What does that mean, Caught him away? did philip just up and walk away, or what ? what am i missing here?

February 19, 2007 8:49 AM

 
Blogger mark pierson said...

Janice,it seems to me that suddenly Philip was gone, the Spirit having taken and moved him elsewhere. Thanks for the visit

February 19, 2007 10:31 AM

 
Blogger jazzycat said...

Mark,
Then Philip said, “If you believe with all your heart, you may.”

Could this perhaps mean a sincere faith and trust that resulted in a changed attitude and perspective rather than a FG response of simply believing the offer with all options open?

No, as you point out discipleship goes hand and hand when you belief is with all your heart.

February 19, 2007 10:54 AM

 
Blogger Craver Vii said...

I guess we're each noticing different things, because in retelling this, I place an emphasis on "Arise and go." The text does not say, "And Philip, having some time to kill..." or "And Philip, who wasn't doing anything important at the time..."

He got up and went. Paul often got up and went, too. And many times, that resulted in severe beatings, and being run out of town by people who did not receive the message.

Like Abraham, who also "got up and went" to a land God was going to show him, we must take that first step of obedience.

This is by no means saying that a proper theology or a right understanding of the process and order of salvation doesn't matter. Just that all believers must take these steps of obedience, regardless of our level of knowledge or maturity.

February 19, 2007 11:11 AM

 
Blogger mark pierson said...

Wayne - No where in all of scripture is believing in Christ separate from discipleship...NO WHERE! Good points

Craver ii - Good points,sir. Obedience and true saving faith are inseparable, obedience arises, or is a fruit of said faith, though not always perfect

February 19, 2007 11:36 AM

 
Blogger mark pierson said...

To all:

My email is still a problem.

February 19, 2007 11:38 AM

 
Blogger Craver Vii said...

Hey Mark, you can just call me “Craver.” The Roman numeral (vii) after represents seven cravings. I would hate to have to pick only two (ii). These are my seven cravings: My Bride, Prayer, The Lost, God, His Word, His People, His Service/Ministry.

It may seem weird to call myself by that, but it’s an acronym for my real name.

February 19, 2007 1:05 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

thanks Mark!

February 19, 2007 3:14 PM

 
Blogger Baptist Girl said...

Great post Mark! We should take every opportunity to share the gospel, that's what we are told to do Go out into the world....

Cristina

February 19, 2007 4:38 PM

 
Blogger Shiloh Guy said...

Mark,

This passage really is so rich isn't it? Everyone has pointed out great insights from the text. May I add another? I have always loved this passage because it reminds me that not one of God's people will fail to hear the gospel. God will overcome all worldly obstacles and hurdles to ensure that his message is heard.

Dave Moorhead

February 20, 2007 3:01 PM

 
Blogger mark pierson said...

Cristina - Bless you, sister!

Dave Moorhead - I am honored that you stopped by. I've also been to India, once, back in 1984.

February 21, 2007 10:23 AM

 
Blogger Shiloh Guy said...

Mark,

I just read your profile and noticed something that makes us true brothers in addition to being brothers in Christ. I read Spurgeon's two volume autobiography back in 1980 when I was coming to the doctrines of grace and finishing seminary. If anyone asks me what book has most influenced my life besides the Bible I always say Spurgeon's autobiography. I have reread it and reread it. Since I never had a mentor to guide me in theology and pastoral ministry, Spurgeon took on that role for me. I bought all 63 volumes of his sermons and have everything else he wrote as well. If I could have dinner with any person who has died it would be him. I could go on and on about how the Lord has used Spurgeon in my life but that might have to meet until, providence willing, we meet face to face!

Thanks for the link, brother. I'll return the compliment!

Dave

PS. My lovely wife just saw your picture on your profile and told me to be careful not to write anything that might offend you and make you come after me!

February 21, 2007 11:36 PM

 
Blogger mark pierson said...

Dave - I 've just re-read Spurgeon's Autobiography, and also re-read Dalimore's Spurgeon biography, Murray's "Forgotten Spurgeon", "All of Grace", and am now reading Spurgeon's "Lectures to My Students"... All in the past year! I own "New Park Street Pulpit" and hope to one day own "Metropolitan Pulpit". I wish also to obtain Spurgeon's "The Gospel Of The Kingdom" which is nearly impossible to find nowadays.

To me Spurgeon is the face of Calvinism with his tremendous hunger for souls.

BTW,I'm a lifter, not a fighter. :)

February 22, 2007 10:57 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home