LOOKING TO PRAISE AND WORSHIP JESUS THE CHRIST, THE SON OF THE LIVING GOD. 18 No man has ever seen God at any time; the only unique Son, or the only begotten God, Who is in the bosom [in the intimate presence] of the Father, He has declared Him [He has revealed Him and brought Him out where He can be seen; He has interpreted Him and He has made Him known].

Tuesday, April 24, 2007

Nourish and Cherish Your Wife

28So ought men to love their wives as their own bodies. He that loveth his wife loveth himself.
29For no man ever yet hated his own flesh; but nourisheth and cherisheth it, even as the Lord the church:...Ephesians 5: 28-29
************************************************************************************
Nourish - to rear, feed. To nurture, rear, to bring up to maturity such as children. ... to train or educate. To shepherd or take general care of, to feed, to satisfy.

Cherish - Syn.: to care for, to give heed to, pay attention to, to minister, to warm.

From THE COMPLETE WORDSTUDY DICTIONARY New Testament Spiros Zodhiates
*************************************************************************************

Men ought to love their wives as their own bodies. They ought to nourish and cherish them as they would their own selves.

As I ponder these things I wonder if this nourishing and cherishing could and should be taken to the spiritual level as well. You see I have an appetite for the Word of God. That came about as a result of regeneration. There is this desire to live according to God's plan for my life. I wish to know Him better, to love Him more. O sure I have my bad days, days filled with rebellion against Him, days of falling into temptation; but the overall direction of my life is heading in the general direction of knowing Him better and learning more of His plans for my life.

As I read the Bible it becomes more and more clear that God's plan for every Christian is to be conformed to the image of His Son. See Rom. 8:29; 2Cor. 3:18; Gal. 4:19. It is also clear that each Christian is to play an active role in the conforming process. We are to study and prayerfully meditate on His Word. As we do so the Holy Spirit goes about to form Christ within us, 2 Cor. 3:18. As we behold Christ in the Word the Holy Spirit molds and shapes us into the image of the Son. The trials come, and as we keep our eyes on Christ in the Word, filled with worship and thanksgiving and offering up the sacrifice of praise so the conforming process takes place in our lives.

Now, husbands, those who have that desire to grow in the knowledge of your Lord and Savior, do you share your study and reading experiences with your wife? The gems you come across in His word, do you share them with your wife? Are you reading the scriptures with her, sharing your insights with her so as to see her become more conformed to the image of the Son?

Hmmmm.

Labels:

7 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am pleased to be able to say that I do have a husband who does these things you've mentioned. Was it always like this? No. But God has graciously brought us to this point.

That's the thing about marriage. We change; it changes. We grow; it grows. If we had called it quits several years ago, when all looked bleak, unchangeable, and unfixable, we certainly would not have come to see the fruit that is being born out right now.

April 24, 2007 11:45 AM

 
Blogger mark pierson said...

Gayla, so true.

In earlier times I used to teach Karen the scriptures. I have drifted away from that, I regret to admit. The reason I wanted to get into this series is so that I can correct this sin of mine, lose the laziness, and get on with being a real husband again.

April 24, 2007 12:08 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I applaud you (God!) for that, Mark!

Interestingly enough, it wasn't until God changed MY heart and I was able to embrace His sovereignty, that Roger and I were really able to have meaningful discussions about spiritual things and Scripture.

Roger was always a 'sovereignty' guy, but never really labeled it anything. He embraces God's sovereignty b/c that's exactly how He reveals Himself through the Scriptures.

I don't even know why I said that! But there ya go..... LOL

April 24, 2007 12:34 PM

 
Blogger Shiloh Guy said...

Mark,

The only hesitation I have about simulcasting is that I don't want to step on good posts like this one. I would be glad to put the posts up here but I'm afraid my teammates might feel a little steamrolled. I have several of these posts ready and the rest of you guys should have the opportunity to make your own excellent contributions.

Dave

April 24, 2007 12:37 PM

 
Blogger mark pierson said...

Dave, I will gladly yield my time on here for you to post in my place. Please feel free. At this point I will not post for the next three weeks to a month so that you can catch us up with your postings. Please, please go ahead and do that!

Sincerely,
Mark

April 24, 2007 1:07 PM

 
Blogger jazzycat said...

Mark,
Great points. I especially liked your personal example of what regeneration caused to happen in your life. For those that fail to understand God's grace, I think Mark will tell you that he WILLINGLY went about satisfying his hunger for the things of God.

April 24, 2007 2:29 PM

 
Blogger Dawn said...

I'm blessed to have a husband that does share the word with me. He teaches a Sunday School class and we usually go over what he has taught. I throughly enjoy that on Sundays. That's not the only time we discuss the word, but I usually look forward to his weekly lesson.

April 25, 2007 4:19 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home