LOOKING TO PRAISE AND WORSHIP JESUS THE CHRIST, THE SON OF THE LIVING GOD. 18 No man has ever seen God at any time; the only unique Son, or the only begotten God, Who is in the bosom [in the intimate presence] of the Father, He has declared Him [He has revealed Him and brought Him out where He can be seen; He has interpreted Him and He has made Him known].

Monday, May 07, 2007

Moi




Seven “interesting” things about me?
I guess it depends on the interests of who’s reading, but here goes…

1) I once worked at Kennedy Space Center as editor of a NASA publication. The photo was taken during the filming of the movie “Armageddon.” That’s me to the immediate right of Bruce Willis (his left). Sorry the image is wonky; I had to scan it in with my 4-year-old daughter "helping" me. Too bad I’m not a Willis fan, but meeting Willis sure impressed my then 11-year-old son. I was more impressed with the Israeli astronaut (who flew on Columbia’s last mission), who signed the publication for me in Hebrew, and I gave it to my son. I now live on a horse farm in the Middle of Nowhere and work from home as a technical editor for a couple of knitting magazines.

2) I knit - a lot. I also spin yarn on a spinning wheel and on drop spindles. (There’s a good reason they call it a “drop” spindle.) I’ve spun wool, cotton, silk, flax, and qiviut (anybody wanna take a guess what that is? No peekin’ on google.)

3) I’ve lived as a student and worker in Australia, France, and Israel, but I would also like to visit or live in Greece at some point before the Lord calls me to a heavenly home. I see on Cristina’s blog (http://baptist-girl.blogspot.com/) that she was born in France, and one of the towns in which she lived was Metz. Cristina, I studied in Nancy in the early ‘80s. Nancy (pronounced Nawn-SEE) is the stop before Metz as one heads from Paris to the Alsace/Lorraine region, which was once part of Germany. In fact, the cuisine there bears a German influence, but I digress…

4) I know French and Hebrew fairly well, and have studied classical Arabic, but Greek is – sigh – all Greek to me.

5) I grew up in a Christian home, where both parents were believers, but they separated and later divorced. I learned a lot about what I didn’t want in a marriage from that, but I also really missed my dad. The only way to see him when I was 13 was to attend church with him. I learned a lot about what I didn’t like in Christianity that way. There were a lot of crazy tongues and healings going on there – much of what I see Paul discussing in 1 Corinthians. It may well have been part of my decision to convert to Judaism. (Hey! That’ll be number 6.)

6) I converted to Judaism when I was in my 20s. I studied Hebrew at the Jewish Embassy in NYC, where I met and married an Israeli. We had a son and moved to Israel. We moved back to the US and divorced after a few years. My son is now 19 and serving in the Israeli Defense Forces.

7) All the education and good work experience I have had didn’t spare me from being really stupid. In a floundering second marriage with my son living overseas, I turned to alcohol. In a memory of which I am most ashamed, I laid myself down drunk one day beside a garbage can – in front of my mother, her husband, my husband, and my then-8-year-old son visiting for the summer. I thank God now for His hand during that experience, because the only way I would have ever looked up to see Him was from the bottom of a pit. My pride would never have allowed me to see my own lack and desperate need of a Savior had I not fallen from my pedestal to hit rock bottom. It was then that I started seeking a church and later went up at a Pentecostal church evening service during an altar call. It was like a magnet pulling me to that altar, and since that time, I’ve never a felt a weight lift from me as much as I did that night. It was so heavy, I’ll bet even Mark couldn’t lift it! (It was pretty heavy, Mark.)

8 Comments:

Blogger Shiloh Guy said...

Susan!!! Now THAT'S interesting! Thanks for sharing that.

Dave

May 07, 2007 5:05 PM

 
Blogger jazzycat said...

Looks like you and Cristina have seen a few sights. Thanks for the testimony.....

May 07, 2007 5:28 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I find looking at that photo now kind of funny, particularly the sign with the question mark which appears to be coming out of a guy standing there, like in a cartoon or something.
There are plenty more interesting people to me in that photo than the famous actor. One of the guys in the front row is the son of the man who wrote "Power for Living." Anyone familiar with that book?
KSC is full of Christians, and very outspoken ones at that. In fact, it was at the invitation of one of the NASA press officers that I attended that Pentecostal church.
Many of the astronauts in the days of the earliest launches -like Mercury and Gemini - were known for their faith as well. It's great to hear their stories.
Remember the astronauts who quoted from Genesis while looking at earth from space?

May 07, 2007 5:41 PM

 
Blogger Craver Vii said...

Neat! I wish I knew Hebrew.

May 07, 2007 6:37 PM

 
Blogger Baptist Girl said...

Susan,
Priase God for what He has done in your life. What a testimony! Thank you for sharing! I remember my conversion and it was like a heaviness was removed. The darkness was the heaviness I felt..and then there was light.
Praise God! You have been through so much and your here giving God the glory.Thank you Susan...most of all thank Lord for saving Susan.

Cristina

May 07, 2007 8:22 PM

 
Blogger mark pierson said...

Susan - wasn't that aboard Apollo 8, with Borman, Anders and Lovell in December, 1968 as they headed for a single orbit of the moon?

What a testimony! Wow, have you been around. Now I know what you look like. Thanks for sharing your testimony and picture.

May 08, 2007 6:39 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Mark,
You probably know better than I do which mission that was when Genesis was cited.
I've been around the block, but not (yet) around the moon.

May 08, 2007 9:40 AM

 
Blogger Dawn said...

Yes, very interesting!

Wow. You and the other girl are VERY close to Mr. Willis. LOL It looks like he is trying to nudge the other girl out of sight of the camera so he can be prominent. (I'm sure that is not the case, but just the way it had to be to be able to get you all in the picture.)

I barely know how to knit. I once got a beginner's book and followed the instructions and began a scarf, but only got as far as about two pot holders and I've never picked it up again. Maybe I will one day. The spinning wheel sounds fun.

May 08, 2007 5:09 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home