LOOKING TO PRAISE AND WORSHIP JESUS THE CHRIST, THE SON OF THE LIVING GOD. 18 No man has ever seen God at any time; the only unique Son, or the only begotten God, Who is in the bosom [in the intimate presence] of the Father, He has declared Him [He has revealed Him and brought Him out where He can be seen; He has interpreted Him and He has made Him known].

Monday, July 28, 2008

Where I Is Right Now

MacArthur and Ryrie. Respected names in Christian circles. MacArthur wrote "The Gospel According to Jesus", and Ryrie responded to that book with "So Great a Salvation".

Well, I'm reading them both at the same time. Actually I'm reading MacArthur's twentieth anniversary edition, which marks my third time through that book as I read the original both in 1994 and in 2005. While reading Ryrie's book I'm trying to see into his heart and mind. I want to pause and reflect on each of his points. He's very easy to read. He has a nice easy to understand and folksy style. I shall share my thoughts after I have finished both books.

The Lord willing I shall go down stairs in a few hours to, I hope, have a good bench-press workout. The Lord willing I hope to put up another 300+ pounds. This in order to continue a consecutive string of workouts begun the first week of August, 2005 wherein I put up at least 300 pounds one workout per week. If all goes well this will be the completion of the third year of that string. I began this string later the same year that my mom died. It is my way of acknowledging that life has gone on. Eventually age will catch up and I will no longer be strong enough to keep the string alive. Praise be to the Lord for graciously granting that the string has come this far.

I noticed on Bob Wilkin's blog that he has just had a bout with a kidney stone. Ouch! I had one of those in 2000. Very painful. May the Lord comfort him.

Enough rambling.

Mark

5 Comments:

Blogger Only Look said...

What I like most about "So Great Salvation" is the first chapter Grace At Camp. His honesty about scripture and about himself is a breath of fresh air and the whole point of what
and who Jesus wants us to be for others in the area of discipleship so that others can understand his grace. His complete understanding of his reception of grace enabled him to teach it to the other undeserving youth and awakened a young organic body of youth committed to obedience from an understanding of what their disobedience had done, but he rightly notes that some do not always respond on the same level but are still believers even if they can be carnal sometimes.

yet I do not like the nickel and dimming syllogism by the point of cigarette smoking. It doesn't work in my opinion. Our human usage of syllogism should never exalt itself over scripture but we should always still be careful to be honest about our own selves and not lay burdens on others that we ourselves are not willing to bear. That is in scripture too. Anytime we veer off into syllogism we shall be making those GES points that are not in line with truth and before one knows it he will have deceived himself out of preaching the absolute necessity of receiving Christ at the cross alone and full pardon for sin. This is why we have many who are being deceived and are deceiving others today.

Grace upon grace,

Brian

July 28, 2008 11:17 AM

 
Blogger Only Look said...

Also and again...he is breathtakingly honest and that is what we should be as well in our understanding of who we are in him. This will help us to stop looking at the man in the mirror and find our identity in Christ while learning to be more patient with one another than we have been. I am going to right now study thoroughly his chapter 10 about how disciples come in all shapes and sizes:-)

I think the fact that you say he is folksy and easy to read is good as God desires that babes understand the truth and that the preacher is to give sense and doing that does not always necessarily mean great oratory or sensational delivery but simple delivery that puts the cookies on the shelf so that the child can lift his hands and grab His eternal parents and be made whole. Once again...

Grace upon grace,

Brian

July 28, 2008 11:23 AM

 
Blogger mark pierson said...

Brian,
I only hope that Ryrie makes a better case of why repentance belongs in the sanctification arena rather than in the evagelistic arena than I have seen either from Matuneac or Hodges or the disciples thereof. Their arguments are unconvincing. I hope Ryrie's are not that way too.

July 28, 2008 1:40 PM

 
Blogger Only Look said...

There is no doubt in my mind that repentance both occurs at salvation and continues in sanctification, but at its core it is a change of mind and the importance of addressing it as such is because Rome has perverted it into something it is not and there is always the temptation to misrepresent so that the soul is not allowed to find peace in simple faith in Christ. All heresy is extreme truth. Where I strongly agree with Lou is that we are repenting of unbelief. That is what sleeps at the core of an unrepentant heart. Unbelief coaxes the soul to continue to justify its sin and to coddle and embrace it. That is one reason I believe so many are being led astray from coming to terms with their sin at the cross. If we take the cross out of the way then of course we can lull an unbelieving world into thinking that God has no problem with their sin and movements like the homosexual movement will continue decieving themselves into thinking that God is against the strong usaged of condemnation of that sin in both the Old and New Testaments. But God never changes his mind and all men everywhere are commanded to repent of their sin and believe on the Lord Jesus Christ.

Grace upon grace,

Brian

July 28, 2008 3:16 PM

 
Blogger Ike said...

"The Lord willing I shall go down stairs in a few hours to, I hope, have a good bench-press workout. The Lord willing I hope to put up another 300+ pounds. This in order to continue a consecutive string of workouts begun the first week of August, 2005 wherein I put up at least 300 pounds one workout per week."

You and my son would get along pretty good! His first goal was to bench 300 lbs. and it didn't stop there? Maybe sometime you could visit his blog?
"bloodtippedears.blogspot.com".

July 30, 2008 3:11 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home