LOOKING TO PRAISE AND WORSHIP JESUS THE CHRIST, THE SON OF THE LIVING GOD. 18 No man has ever seen God at any time; the only unique Son, or the only begotten God, Who is in the bosom [in the intimate presence] of the Father, He has declared Him [He has revealed Him and brought Him out where He can be seen; He has interpreted Him and He has made Him known].

Sunday, October 14, 2007

Rotten Apples ... then Blame God


This morning I got up real early and went for my morning coffee to read and do my daily devotional reading. Lately my wife comes with me to share etc. but when she doesn't after I have had my coffee I go down to the river and park the car and sit there in silence and solitude. I am finding that God speaks to us in the silence. As some of you may know from my blog, I have been doing alot of reading and study on the sovereignty of God and this morning I read through the book of Jonah again in a different version. Yesterday I picked up a new ESV bible. Its a great literal version just like KJV, NASB etc. So this morning I'm reading through Jonah and the following verses popped out:

"But the Lord hurled a great wind upon the sea ....." - 1:4a

"So they cast lots and the lot fell on Jonah." - 1:8

"And the LORD appointed a great fish to swallow up Jonah." - 1:17

"And the LORD spoke to the fish, and it vomited Jonah out upon the dry land" - 2:10

"Now the LORD appointed a plant and made it come up over Jonah" - 4:6

"God appointed a worm that attacked the plant, so that it withered." - 4:7

"When the sun rose, God appointed a scorching east wind ...." - 4:8a


I don't know about you but those verse truly and certainly speak about the sovereignty of God. Now take a second and note that God is sovereign over the winds or in other word the weather. He's sovereign over the lot and yes even lottery tickets. He's sovereign over the animal kindgom. Notice he spoke to the fish. I have no idea what "fish talk" is like but God speaks to the animals. God is in charge of vegetation. He appointed a plant to grow. He also speaks to the lowly worm. In this case God appointed a worm to attack the plant. I don't know about you but I found that exciting this morning. God is in charge of the worms. Not only is He sovereign over worms but He has a purpose for them and a plan for them.

So then if God is sovereign over the lowly worm and has a purpose for them, not excluding bait for fishing, can we not all find comfort and security in the fact that God is sovereign over our lives too and that His plan is being and will be fulfilled. So if you are getting some worms in your apple orchard or if you should bite into a nice juicy apple and find a worm, then sit back and contemplate on the sovereignty of God.

5 Comments:

Blogger mark pierson said...

"can we not all find comfort and security in the fact that God is sovereign over our lives too and that His plan is being and will be fulfilled."

Great thoughts, James. I needed that.

Mark

October 14, 2007 10:29 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Mark it's interesting how some christians fear it but for me I find it the complete opposite and absolutely comforting to know that God is completely sovereign over everything.

October 14, 2007 11:13 AM

 
Blogger jazzycat said...

James,
It is indeed a comfort. That is the truth of Romans 8:28.

October 14, 2007 3:26 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

It's a great comfort. If I had any control, well, I see what a mess I've made of things. Thank God He doesn't leave me to myself and my own doings. Or any of His children.

And *only* in recognizing His *absolute sovereignty* can we walk by faith and not by sight. If we had any control, our sight might mean something. Thankfully, it doesn't.

October 14, 2007 3:51 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Amen and Amen!

October 14, 2007 4:38 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home