LOOKING TO PRAISE AND WORSHIP JESUS THE CHRIST, THE SON OF THE LIVING GOD. 18 No man has ever seen God at any time; the only unique Son, or the only begotten God, Who is in the bosom [in the intimate presence] of the Father, He has declared Him [He has revealed Him and brought Him out where He can be seen; He has interpreted Him and He has made Him known].

Wednesday, December 03, 2008

Hooking up with an old friend


Yesterday I went to visit my old training partner, Bob, the one whose coaching and influence got me involved in bench-press contests back in the '80's. That's him in the flip-flops in the back-ground, watching my attempt at around 380 pounds. He and I used to work side by side back in the day, back before there were plant relocations to other parts of the world. We used to talk a lot as the job was such that we could. There were numerous times that I shared Christ with him; he even came to hear me guest speak at my church, and also came to my home study. I left no stone unturned in talking to him about eternal things. The time period covered 1982-1997.

These days those efforts of mine result merely in him watching his language infront of me.

Oh, that he and his would come to Christ! All those prayers, may they be answered.
Yesterday I took a vacation day from work. Bob and I worked out together just like the old days. He remembered other training partners that have since died, ones who were themselves world ranked in the sport. Many died of brain cancer or heart attacks.
Old age is catching up. Neither Bob nor I could lift what we once could. The days of being strong enough to compete with men under forty years old are long gone. That's reality. That's life.
Bob is my friend. Funny how that even the unsaved can have a special place in your heart.
Oh, Bob, come to Christ!
Mark


Labels:

8 Comments:

Blogger mark pierson said...

funny how blogger would not let separate pargraphs where I wanted to. I've never seen that happenbefore. The whole last paragraph was intended to be three paragraphs. After three attempts to correct the situation I gave up.

December 03, 2008 12:35 PM

 
Blogger mark pierson said...

The picture was taken during the 1989 Lake Ontario Bench-press contest.

December 03, 2008 12:40 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I take it that's you on the bench?

December 04, 2008 9:21 AM

 
Blogger mark pierson said...

Yes, Gayla, 'twas me.

I ended up benching only 380 pounds that day; whereas the year before, in the same contest, I benched 385.

December 04, 2008 10:50 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oops, I missed that sentence in the post. :}

Let it not be said that you were not/have not been faithful in proclaiming the gospel to your friend (and anyone else as well).

December 04, 2008 11:56 AM

 
Blogger mark pierson said...

Gayla,
Thanks, friend.

December 04, 2008 12:53 PM

 
Blogger only1way said...

is that Stulpin lifting the weight off the rack? Amazing in 20+ years you haven't lost an inch off of your 56" chest.

December 06, 2008 8:14 AM

 
Blogger mark pierson said...

Actually, John, that is Sheriff captain Dave Stulpin, of the Monroe County Sherriff Dept. And he is helping me to rack the weight after a successful attempt. I'll never see those kinds of weights again.

December 06, 2008 9:34 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home