LOOKING TO PRAISE AND WORSHIP JESUS THE CHRIST, THE SON OF THE LIVING GOD. 18 No man has ever seen God at any time; the only unique Son, or the only begotten God, Who is in the bosom [in the intimate presence] of the Father, He has declared Him [He has revealed Him and brought Him out where He can be seen; He has interpreted Him and He has made Him known].

Thursday, February 09, 2006

EVEN MORE SPURGEON

"There brake He the arrows of the bow, the shield, and the sword, and the battle." --Psalm 76:3

Our Redeemer's glorious cry of "It is finished," was the death-knell of all the adversaries of His people, the breaking of "the bow and the battle." Behold the hero of Golgotha using His cross as an anvil, and His woes as a hammer, dashing to shivers bundle after bundle of our sins, those poisoned "arrows of the bow"; trampling on every indictment, and destroying every accusation. What glorious blows the mighty Breaker gives with a hammer far more ponderous than the fabled weapon of Thor! How the diabolical darts fly to fragments, and the infernal bucklers are broken like potters' vessels! Behold, He draws from its sheath of hellish workmanship the dread sword of Satanic power! He snaps it across His knee, as a man breaks the dry wood of a fagot, and casts it into the fire.

Beloved, no sin of a believer can now be an arrow mortally to wound him, no condemnation can now be a sword to kill him, for the punishment of our sin was borne by Christ, a full atonement was made for all our iniquities by our blessed Substitute and Surety. Who now accuseth? Who now condemneth? Christ hath died, yea rather, hath risen again. Jesus has emptied the quivers of hell, has quenched every fiery dart, and broken off the head of every arrow of wrath; the ground is strewn with the splinters and relics of the weapons of hell's warfare, which are only visible to us to remind us of our former danger, and of our great deliverance. Sin hath no more dominion over us. Jesus has made an end of it, and put it away for ever. O thou enemy, destructions are come to a perpetual end. Talk ye of all the wondrous works of the Lord, ye who make mention of His name, keep not silence, neither by day, nor when the sun goeth to his rest. Bless the Lord, O my soul.

C.H. Spurgeon

9 Comments:

Blogger mark pierson said...

Brian: I have been doing a lot of visiting in blogdom these past several weeks. I rarely comment anymore, but I do read. I have a sour taste in my mouth from both calvinist and noncalvinist blogs. They all talk past eachother, mischaracterize eachother,and use inflamatory rhetoric.

I am sick of it! Each side covers the same ground over and over again. As an observer I can pretty much predict what the participents will say next, because I've seen their arguments all before. Heck, I've even argued in these blogs myself in the past. All the same alliances form, either for or against calvinism, when some blogger writes a provocative post. If a blogger has a bent toward a certain system of Bible interpretation then it is pretty much set in stone what construct they will adhere to. And there will be no shaking them from it on either side. So I figure, why waste time participating. So, I will just go on posting on Christ and Him Crucified. Since Spurgeon did that so very well I will use him much. I plan to go on unphased by the happenings on other blogs. I am fed up!

Give me an expository blog like Reid Ferguson or Steve Weaver where I can grow in grace and in the knowledge of my Lord and Savior Jesus Christ. Exposition of scripture: no waste of time there. Procede from a verse by verse, book by book study of God's word;no room for pet theologies there. In that approach, one must preach what is before him for he has no choice, whether he is fond of that text or not. He has the charge from God Himself to expound on that text;Whether it is self denial or discipleship or fasting and prayer or giving etc.

Brian, thanks for coming by.

Mark

February 09, 2006 9:40 PM

 
Blogger Unknown said...

Thanks, Mark.

I liked: dashing to shivers bundle after bundle of our sins

Didn't he speak off the cuff from his notes?

Jodie

February 10, 2006 3:05 PM

 
Blogger mark pierson said...

Jodie,

One of my pastor friends has an actual fragment of one of Spurgeon's hand-written sermon notes. To use one of your expressions,"Very Cool!"

Thanks for coming by!

Brother Mark

February 11, 2006 12:39 AM

 
Blogger mark pierson said...

Jodie,
If I remember correctly, his morning and midweek lessons were sometimes " off the cuff". It's been two years since I last read his autobiography. Something to do again soon.

February 11, 2006 12:44 AM

 
Blogger Kc said...

Great post and comment too Mark. You're a great blessing to me. ;-)

February 11, 2006 6:10 AM

 
Blogger forgiven said...

Hi My Brother

Jesus is are Shield

Jerusalem with out the Lord was alway torn down. But with the Lord the mighty wall stood.

Great Word from a Great Calvinist

Thank You

February 11, 2006 9:45 AM

 
Blogger Shawn said...

Wow mark you are feeling exactly as I have lately.

I think blogging if can be done well should be including all of this. For example I don't believe you can sharpen iron without first continually willing to bear one another's burdens.

May God help us put to death the deeds of the body, I've noticed this in my conversations with my friend who had committed a felony and will be going to jail soon. His first thing to go was getting together with other men and not be accountable with one another and not in the Word.

We are trying to grow together in the Lord and trying to implement these things.

1) encouraging one another daily
2) provoking one another to good deeds
3) sharpening iron
4) bearing one anothers burdens
5) Convicting with the Word
6) Passionate about God's Glory and Holiness
7) Praying for one another


It's gotten really really bad out there in the blog world, but it is showing what our hearts are really like and then it reminds me of our sinfulness of sin and our Savior and there is a day coming when God will wipe away every tear from our eyes.

May God teach us something in this carnage and thank you Mark for standing for the right things. Christ and Him Crucified.

May God be glorified in the weak saints and use this to sanctify his people and at least show them the depravity of their own condition without God's Spirit working in their life

February 11, 2006 12:25 PM

 
Blogger Gordon said...

Mark and Shawn,
I agree wholeheartedly with you about the debate. Very rarely does it accomplish anything except to further polarize the opposing views. I appreciate your spirit in this.

BTW, Spurgeon sure had a way with words.

February 11, 2006 12:47 PM

 
Blogger mark pierson said...

Casey, Doug, Shawn and Pastor Gordon:Thank you so much for coming by. I had to get this quick response in between my son's need to use the computer for his school reports.

Only time will tell what is to become of blog friendships after this current war is over with. I can not deny though that lines have been drawn deep in the sand as someone said at Antonio's blog. I guess the chips will fall where they will fall. I think this war predates MacAthur's "TGOTJ" though.

I have friends on both sides of this debate. I would hate to lose any of them...Peace

Mark

February 12, 2006 4:19 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home