LOOKING TO PRAISE AND WORSHIP JESUS THE CHRIST, THE SON OF THE LIVING GOD. 18 No man has ever seen God at any time; the only unique Son, or the only begotten God, Who is in the bosom [in the intimate presence] of the Father, He has declared Him [He has revealed Him and brought Him out where He can be seen; He has interpreted Him and He has made Him known].

Thursday, March 08, 2007

Matthew 20:28

Matthew 20:28 even as the Son of Man came not to be served but to serve, and to give his life as a ransom for many."

The photo above shows a barely noticeable scar from a smallpox vaccination from many years ago. With advances in medicine we have more and more vaccines to protect us from all kinds of diseases. Since humans have no way of knowing who will be exposed to these various diseases, we attempt to vaccinate all that we possibly can. If human beings possessed the foreknowledge that God has, we would need to vaccinate only those who would actually be exposed to the disease. With this same foreknowledge, Jesus gave his life for the many that his atonement redeemed and them only.

Since God does have this foreknowledge of exactly who will be redeemed by the regenerating work of the Holy Spirit, the verse above indicates that Jesus Christ came to the earth to serve and to give his life as a ransom for the many who are saved by the atonement of Jesus Christ on the cross of Calvary. Everyone agrees that the atonement of Jesus Christ is of infinite value and sufficient to save an infinite number of people. Some argue that Christ died for everyone. In this view, the atonement makes salvation possible for everyone, but actually saves no one. This, the Arminian view, limits the power or effectiveness of the atonement by leaving salvation up to human decision. This view leaves open the possibility of no one being saved and Jesus dying in vain. The reformed view does not limit the power as it holds that all that Christ died for (the many in Mt. 20:28) will be saved. This view limits the extent of the atonement by affirming that Christ died for only those that God chose before the foundation of the world (see Feb. 27 post). Jesus in the high priestly prayer said, “John 17:9 I am praying for them. I am not praying for the world but for those whom you have given me, for they are yours.” After reading this entire prayer in John 17, it is hard to believe that the atonement of Jesus was meant for anyone other than those redeemed by faith in his sacrificial death on the cross.

In Mt. 20:28 above Jesus died for the ‘many’. This either refers to believers only or everyone that has ever lived. Since the passage speaks of his death providing a ransom (redemption) for the many, this passage teaches universalism if the ‘many’ includes everyone that has ever lived. Therefore, since Scripture clearly does not teach universalism, this passage teaches that the atonement of Jesus was for believers only. This is referred to as limited atonement or particular redemption.

Praise God that Jesus’ atonement on the cross saves sinners. Jesus saved all the sinners he intended to save (John 6:37) and that is everyone that place their faith in him for paying their sin debt on the cross.

5 Comments:

Blogger mark pierson said...

I am a man who has many spiritual "warts". Even as a regenerate individual I still manage to choose to serve sin rather than God. If that is true now, after regeneration, how would I have chosen God while yet unregenerate? Had God not taken the benefits of the cross and sovereignly applied them to my life I would yet be a slave to sin, openly hostile to Him.

What were the benefits that were applied to me from the cross? Death to sin, separation from my slavery to it. I am now a slave of God, a slave of righteousness. I can now count myself dead to sin and alive to God.

Good post, Wayne.

March 08, 2007 8:01 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

this is a good post!


and I have one of them scar, from the smallpos vaccination, I can still see it in my mind, getting the shot, ( MAN did it hurt)


have a blessed day!

March 08, 2007 8:59 AM

 
Blogger jazzycat said...

Thanks Mark and Jel,
We all have warts for sure and we all struggle with sin. Thank God that he forgives us when we repent.
Wayne

March 08, 2007 10:07 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

"Even as a regenerate individual I still manage to choose to serve sin rather than God. If that is true now, after regeneration, how would I have chosen God while yet unregenerate?"

And therein lies the point. :)

Reading this wonderful post, Wayne, it competely, totally resonates in my soul. But you know - I can so clearly remember back 2 years ago when I could have read these same words and balked at each one. This is how I KNOW that God has changed me - He revealed Himself to me and He opened my eyes to see Him as who He is. He is the sovereign Lord, who does as He pleases, whose plans and purposes cannot be thwarted and who calls a people to Himself by truly, actually saving them through His Son.

Amazing grace.

March 09, 2007 10:21 AM

 
Blogger Shiloh Guy said...

Wayne,

Good job of writing that post in under 10,000 words!

One of the attributes of God that is oft-neglected is justice. When I apply justice to the terms that describe salvation, terms like redeem, ransom, purchase, etc., I realize it is impossible that any whom Christ bought with a price should be lost and it is equally impossible that all will be saved since Jesus made it clear he did not come to pay the price for all. ("My sheep hear my voice...you are not my sheep.") You are so right that the only alternative to this doctrine must be universalism.

March 09, 2007 4:37 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home