LOOKING TO PRAISE AND WORSHIP JESUS THE CHRIST, THE SON OF THE LIVING GOD. 18 No man has ever seen God at any time; the only unique Son, or the only begotten God, Who is in the bosom [in the intimate presence] of the Father, He has declared Him [He has revealed Him and brought Him out where He can be seen; He has interpreted Him and He has made Him known].

Saturday, May 12, 2007

Happy Mothers' Day

Can I tell you a quick story about one of my favorite mothers? (You know I can’t tell a quick story, but may I try anyway?) My favorite mom is of course my own and I thank God for her, I truly do. But the woman who comes to mind immediately when I think of my inspiration is a woman named Helen. I won’t give her last name since I didn’t ask her permission to tell (part of) her story, but I just have to share her with you.
Probably about 15 years ago, my brother married a gal who had had a child when she was about 16 years old (not my brother’s child). The boy, named Adam, was born with cerebral palsy and the gal gave him up for adoption. Helen and her husband Jeff adopted Adam when this girl was 16. When the gal later married my brother in her late 20s, I learned of Adam and his adopted family. Because he was my new sister-in-law’s son and she kept in touch with this family, I considered them to be my family too, and I got in touch with them.
Eventually, I went to visit them since they lived about eight hours from me in the state of Florida. I took my then boyfriend (now husband), and we went to meet Adam and his adopted family. They lived then in a single-wide trailer with Adam and two other adopted handicapped children. I have never in my life seen better organization than in that small trailer. Drawers pulled out from underneath beds. Beds folded down from walls (don’t ask me how in a trailer that small). Shelves everywhere held baskets and books and medical supplies. You name it, it was there.
And more than that – we were welcomed as if we were family, and yet my then boyfriend and I were living in sin and hardly had one ounce of the generosity and love that this family had, but we were treated as if we were long-lost family and royalty. During our short visit, I saw Helen change feeding tubes, fluid bags, and whatever else the special needs of her children required. It made a real impression on me.
A few years later, during one of the several tumultuous break-ups with then-boyfriend, I decided after a particularly stressful work time to take a vacation and drive myself to New Orleans just to get away from it all. (The word “impetuous” comes to mind.) I took off and somewhere down the road decided to call Helen and her husband Jeff. They again told me to come on by and stay with them the night on my way to Nawlins’. This time, they were in a new residence – having adopted yet another disabled child who – unbeknownst to them at the time – came with a small inheritance. With the money, they purchased an old church and moved in with their then four handicapped children.
Adam had recently passed away, and when I visited with them, I was able to hear from Helen how difficult it was to lose a child. He was every bit her child – as if he grew in her own womb, even though he grew in her heart instead.
I made a decision to keep Helen and Jeff in my family, even if Adam was no longer physically present.
Years afterward, my now husband and I came to faith and I don’t doubt that the prayers and ministry of Helen and Jeff had something to do with it. Since Adam’s passing, they have had to cope with the passing of two other handicapped children, and they now have seven adopted children with various disabilities. (They also have three grown children born to them, with seven grandchildren.)
Helen stays home with the children. Jeff ministers to the elderly in the community. They are supported solely through personal donations and receive nothing from the government, neither do they ask for anything from the latter.
The name of their ministries is Mephibosheth Ministries.
Helen is my inspiration. This last year, my husband and I asked Jeff and Helen to be godparents to our daughter. I can think of no other home in which I’d like her to be raised if the Lord were to call us Home prior to our daughter’s turning 18 years old.
I don’t know to what theology (Reformed or otherwise) Jeff and Helen subscribe. I don’t know if they’re amill, pre-mill or post-mill. I just know that they walk in Christ.
And that thusly, Helen is a woman who fears the Lord and shall be greatly praised.
If you made it this far, please tell me about one of your favorite moms. I’d love to hear.
Happy Mother’s Day, y’all!

4 Comments:

Blogger Baptist Girl said...

Happy Mother's day to you Susan and thank you for sharing such a touching story. It so great to have folks like Helen in our lives.

Cristina

May 12, 2007 10:49 PM

 
Blogger jazzycat said...

That was a great story of love and caring.

May 13, 2007 8:18 AM

 
Blogger mark pierson said...

Happy Mother's day, Susan!

"I don’t know to what theology (Reformed or otherwise) Jeff and Helen subscribe. I don’t know if they’re amill, pre-mill or post-mill. I just know that they walk in Christ.
And that thusly, Helen is a woman who fears the Lord and shall be greatly praised."

Amen!

My mom died March 13, 2005. She was the most godly of women. She always made sure to preach Christ to friend and stranger alike. Her counsel to hurting saints and prayers for them touched many. She was always there to comfort and to give a kick in the pants when necessary.

Lord, thank you for taking my mom home to be safe in your arms. Right now she has fullness of joy in your presence, and pleasures for evermore at Your right hand.

Happy Mother's day Gayla and Cristina!

May 13, 2007 9:21 AM

 
Blogger Shiloh Guy said...

I know it's late but I'd like to add my Mother's Day blessings to all you moms here at Bluecollar!

May 13, 2007 9:52 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home