LOOKING TO PRAISE AND WORSHIP JESUS THE CHRIST, THE SON OF THE LIVING GOD. 18 No man has ever seen God at any time; the only unique Son, or the only begotten God, Who is in the bosom [in the intimate presence] of the Father, He has declared Him [He has revealed Him and brought Him out where He can be seen; He has interpreted Him and He has made Him known].

Sunday, December 14, 2008

A Better Covenant?

Hebrews 8:6-13 (King James Version)
6But now hath he obtained a more excellent ministry, by how much also he is the mediator of a better covenant, which was established upon better promises.
7For if that first covenant had been faultless, then should no place have been sought for the second.
8For finding fault with them, he saith, Behold, the days come, saith the Lord, when I will make a new covenant with the house of Israel and with the house of Judah:
9Not according to the covenant that I made with their fathers in the day when I took them by the hand to lead them out of the land of Egypt; because they continued not in my covenant, and I regarded them not, saith the Lord.
10For this is the covenant that I will make with the house of Israel after those days, saith the Lord; I will put my laws into their mind, and write them in their hearts: and I will be to them a God, and they shall be to me a people:
11And they shall not teach every man his neighbour, and every man his brother, saying, Know the Lord: for all shall know me, from the least to the greatest.
12For I will be merciful to their unrighteousness, and their sins and their iniquities will I remember no more.
13In that he saith, A new covenant, he hath made the first old. Now that which decayeth and waxeth old is ready to vanish away.

Hebrews 10:15-17 (King James Version)
15Whereof the Holy Ghost also is a witness to us: for after that he had said before,
16This is the covenant that I will make with them after those days, saith the Lord, I will put my laws into their hearts, and in their minds will I write them;
17And their sins and iniquities will I remember no more.
Hebrews 10:15-17 (King James Version)

A better covenant which was established on better promisses?

Some suggest that a Christian can fail and lapse into a state of unbelief, and suffer for that at the Judgement Seat of Christ. If that is so then how is the New Covenant a better covenant? After all, according to them, the results are all the same - that is that those within the covenant can fall into unbelief just as the larger part of OT Israel had. These people then are teaching that the New Covenant is not a better covenant after all.

Labels:

4 Comments:

Blogger jazzycat said...

Mark,
That is a great point.
wayne

December 14, 2008 1:48 PM

 
Blogger Daniel said...

I suspect that first you have to "depersonalize" the new covenant - stop interpreting it to be about God's covenant with individuals, and think of it solely and only as applying to "nations" (or some such gibberish), then nod knowingly to your compadres as you touch your knows and smile at our ignorance.

Just saying.

December 15, 2008 12:01 PM

 
Blogger Daniel said...

knows = nose, btw. The pun may be too subtle.

December 15, 2008 12:01 PM

 
Blogger mark pierson said...

The prophecies in the OT of the then coming New Covenant all present it as the "I wills" of God. The OT children of Israel failed because of the weakness of the flesh, and thereby lost the chance to be a kingdom of priests - But now God has that kingdom, because of His workings, His enablings, His leadings - all coming as the result of THE NEW COVENANT blessings.

December 15, 2008 12:16 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home